Mayor's Office to Combat Domestic Violence  
Printer Friendly Email a Friend Translate This Page Text Size: A A A
Call 311 for the DV Hotline
Call 911 in emergencies
Available Languages

Facebook Twitter
Client receives help at Family Justice Center
NYC Services Snapshot

New York City Family Justice Centers and DVRT
The Mayor’s Office to Combat Domestic Violence runs two programs that make it as easy as possible for domestic violence victims, elder abuse victims, and trafficking victims to get the help that they need. The New York City Family Justice Centers are one-stop service locations for domestic violence victims and their children. Services include counseling, family court lawyers, immigration lawyers, and assistance applying for public benefits and public housing.
Learn more about the New York City Family Justice Centers 
Learn more about the Staten Island Domestic Violence Response Team  

Criminal Justice Services
Domestic violence is a crime. The District Attorney’s Office in each borough and the New York City Police Department (NYPD) work together to hold abusers accountable for their actions and provide services to victims of domestic violence.


New York City Police Department (NYPD) 
Every Police precinct and each Family Justice Center has Domestic Violence Prevention Officers (DVPOs) on-site.  DVPOs are Police Officers within the NYPD who are specially trained to work with victims of domestic violence. The NYPD responds to calls for help, makes arrests, files domestic incident reports (DIRs), and provides referrals and follow-up visits to victims.
Learn more about how the NYPD can help
Find your precinct address, main phone number and the direct number to the DVPOs in your precinct 


District Attorney Offices
Each borough has its own Office of the District Attorney with units or bureaus dedicated to prosecuting domestic violence cases. You can contact the District Attorney’s Office in the borough where you have a criminal court case to find out which Assistant District Attorney (ADA) is assigned to your case.  The assigned ADA can give you updates about the criminal case, explain the criminal court process to you and prepare you if you need to testify in court.

Contact your District Attorney’s Office: 
Bronx County District Attorney’s Office 
Kings County District Attorney’s Office 
New York County District Attorney’s Office 
Queens County District Attorney’s Office
Richmond County District Attorney’s Office.

Victim Information & Notification Everyday (VINE Program)
Through the VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) system, victims can register to receive notification regarding a change in the custody status of an inmate in a New York State or New York City prison or jail.  For more information on these services, contact the
 NYS Office of Victim Services or the NYC Department of Correction, or call 1-888-VINE-4-NY (1-888-846-3469). To receive email notification through VINELink, click here.

Civil Legal Services
Civil legal agencies can offer legal consultation or representation for family and immigration law related matters.  Family court legal issues may include cases for custody, visitation, divorce, child support, or petitions for an order of protection. Immigration legal assistance may be available for U visas, self petitions, battered spouse waivers and work permits.
Find a provider

Housing - Emergency Shelter and Permanent Housing
New York City addresses the needs of domestic violence victims seeking temporary emergency shelter through the Department of Homeless Services (DHS) and the Human Resources Administration (HRA). DHS and HRA staff provide assessment, placement assistance, crisis information, and referrals to families. New York City makes a special effort to make subsidized permanent housing available to eligible victims of domestic violence.
Learn more about emergency domestic violence shelter
Learn more about permanent housing

Public Assistance
The Human Resources Administration (HRA) offers a wide variety of supportive services to income eligible individuals and families. HRA public assistance services include temporary cash assistance, food stamps, medical insurance, child care for working parents, job training and placement, domestic violence prevention services, and other financial assistance programs.    
Learn more about public assistance services

Advocacy, Case Management, and Counseling
Domestic violence victims often feel that it is a full time job trying to access all of the services available to them.  Many government agencies and community organizations in New York City offer assistance by giving support to exercise your rights, helping to coordinate the available services, and providing individual counseling or a support group. 
Find a provider 

New York City is committed to treating domestic violence as a critical healthcare issue. Victims of physical and sexual abuse can receive treatment for injuries as well as routine care at hospitals, medical centers and medical providers throughout the City.  City hospitals will treat patients regardless of the language they speak or their immigration status.
Learn more about domestic violence and healthy living
Learn more about City hospitals and medical centers 
Learn more about Sexual Assault Response Teams (SART) at HHC hospitals 

New York City recognizes that children are often exposed to domestic violence. The Administration for Children’s Services (ACS) protects children from abuse and neglect. Many community based organizations provide children’s counseling for children who witnessed acts of domestic violence.
Learn more about how ACS protects children from abuse and neglect
Find a provider