An applicant for a Certificate of Conduct (formerly known as a Good Conduct Certificate) must apply in person between the hours of 9 A.M and 3:00 P.M., Monday through Friday (the office is closed on legal holidays), at the Public Inquiry & Request Section, located at Police Headquarters, One Police Plaza, Room 152-A, New York, NY 10038. The applicant will be fingerprinted and is required to submit a fifty-dollar ($50.00) money order or certified check payable to the New York City Police Department, or credit card. The applicant must also provide identification, see additional requirements. Processing takes approximately ten working days.
A United States citizen is required to submit the following as proof of citizenship:
A Non U.S. Citizen is required to submit the following when submitting an application:
- Valid U.S. Passport OR
- Original Birth Certificate (U.S. born) AND A valid Driver's License or DMV issued Identification Card OR
- Voter's Registration Card AND A valid Driver's License or DMV issued Identification Card OR
- Naturalization Certificate
- Valid Passport or Alien Registration Card or Employment Authorization OR
- Letter from the Department of Homeland Security (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) indicating applicant's name, address and current status in this country AND valid U.S. government photo identification OR
- Letter from the applicant's Consulate which contains applicant's physical description and date of birth AND valid U.S. government photo identification.