The New York City Police Department today announced the following street closures and related information concerning the Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thursday, November 22nd, 2012. Because heavy traffic is expected in the area all week, mass transit is strongly recommended.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 21st
Beginning at 10:00 a.m. Wednesday, November 21st, 81st Street and 77th Street from Central Park West to Columbus Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic. The balloon inflation can be viewed by pedestrians from 3 p.m. until 10 p.m. on 81st Street and 77th Street from Central Park West to Columbus Avenue.
Pedestrians are advised to enter the viewing area from the West side of Columbus Avenue at 79th Street. After 10 p.m., 81st Street and 77th Street from Central Park West to Columbus Avenue as well as Central Park West from 59th Street to 86th Street will be closed to all traffic. “Broadcast vehicles only” may park beginning at 10:00 a.m. on the west side of Central Park West from West 77th Street to West 81st Street. All Broadcast Vehicles must be off Central Park West by 11:30 p.m.
THANKSGIVING DAY PARADE
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 22nd
Formation for the parade will begin at 8 a.m. at the following locations:
- West 77th Street between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue
- West 81st Street between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue
- Central Park West between West 77th and 86th Streets
The parade will begin at 9 a.m. from Central Park West and 77th Street and proceed on the following route:
- South on Central Park West to Columbus Circle
- South through E/S Columbus Circle to 59th Street
- East on 59th Street to 6th Avenue
- South on 6th Avenue to 34th Street
- West on 34th Street to 7th Avenue -(dispersal area)
Additional closures are as follows:
- Broadway between 34th Street and 38th Street - Midnight to 1 p.m.
- 7th Avenue from West 34th Street to West 42nd Street - 2 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- 34th Street between 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue - 10 p.m. (Wed) to 5 p.m.
- 59th Street E/B between 7th Avenue and Central Park West – 2 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 59th Street W/B between 5th Avenue and Central Park West – 2 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 35th Street between 5th Avenue and 8th Avenue - 2 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- 36th Street between 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue - 2 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 37th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue - 4 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 38th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue - 4 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 8th Avenue between 34th Street and 40th Street - 4 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Broadway between 38th Street and 59th Street - 4 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- 33rd Street between 7th Avenue and 10th Avenue - 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 39th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue - 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 40th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue - 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Central Park 65th Street/66th Street Transverse Roads 7 a.m. until conclusion
Please note: From 9 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. trucks and other large vehicles will not be able to access:
- 6th Avenue between 43rd and 59th Street
- 8th Avenue between 44th and 58th Street
- Broadway between 49th and 57th Street
- 49th, 50th, and 57th Street between 6th and 8th Avenue
BROADCAST VEHICLES ONLY
Members of the press will be permitted to park “broadcast vehicles only” on any street crossing the parade route with the following exceptions:
- 76th Street and formation area north of 76th Street
- 72nd Street (NYPD Operational Needs)
- 65th and 66th Streets (emergency vehicle crossing)
- 62nd and 61st Streets (NYPD Operational Needs)
- Columbus Circle
- 57th Street (pedestrian/emergency vehicle crossing)
- 52nd Street (pedestrian crossing)
- 50th Street (emergency vehicle crossing)
- 49th Street (emergency vehicle crossing)
- 48th Street (pedestrian crossing)
- 40th and 41st Streets (pedestrian/emergency vehicle crossing)
- 37th Street (pedestrian crossing)
- South of 37th Street (Macy’s/NBC Parade Operations – Permit Issued)
There will also be no parking four car lengths from any crosswalk on the side streets along the entire parade route. Posted parking regulations will also be enforced. Members of the media are reminded that NYPD press credentials must be worn fully exposed at all times when the bearer is at or within police lines.