PUBLIC NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN THAT in accordance with Section 1045-j (3) and 1045-j (9a) of the Public Authorities Law, public hearings will be held on April 27, 28, 29 and 30, 2009, concerning proposed rates and charges to be effective July 1, 2009, for the use of, or services furnished, rendered or made available by the Water and Wastewater System of the City of New York (the “System”) and concerning changes to other rates and charges and to certain billing policies to be incorporated into the New York City Water Board’s Rate Schedule effective July 1, 2009. The hearings will be held as follows:
April 27, 2009
|Department of Environmental Protection
Lecture Room, 6th Floor
59-17 Junction Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11373
April 27, 2009
|College of Staten Island
Center for the Arts, Recital Hall
2800 Victory Boulevard
Staten Island, NY 10314
April 28, 2009
|Bronx Library Center
310 East Kingsbridge Avenue
Bronx, NY 10458
April 29, 2009
Student Center-Alumni Lounge
(opposite Whitehead Hall)
East 27th Street and Campus Road
Brooklyn, NY 11210
April 30, 2009
|St. John’s University - Manhattan
101 Murray Street
New York, NY 10007
- It is anticipated that there will be a change from currently effective water rates and wastewater charges for services provided during the fiscal year commencing July 1, 2009.
- Metered and unmetered water rates will increase by an amount not to exceed 14%.
- Wastewater charges will remain at 159% of water charges.
- It also is anticipated that changes to certain existing billing policies will be made, and that new and amended regulations and charges will be considered as follows.
- The Frontage Transition Program for Residential Premises with Six or More Dwelling Units will be extended through the end of FY2012.
- The Board’s existing Regulation No. 3, Discontinuance of Water Supply and/or Sewer Service for Denial of Access, will be amended to conform to changes made last year in the Board’s Regulation No. 2, Discontinuance of Water Supply and/or Sewer Service Because of Non-Payment, including among other matters, reducing the notice period from 45 days to 15 days.
- A new Regulation No. 4, Theft of Services, will be considered.
- New charges will be added to the Rate Schedule to be assessed on properties where customers fail to provide or facilitate access to their premises to enable DEP to inspect, test, repair or replace a property’s connections to the water system, water meters, water consumption measurement devices and appurtenant equipment. New charges will consist of a $250 account administration fee and water/sewer consumption charges based on an attributed consumption formula related to property class and meter size.
- New charges will be added to the Rate Schedule to be assessed on properties where DEP makes a theft of services determination. New charges will consist of a $650 account administration fee and water/sewer consumption charges based on an attributed consumption formula related to property class and meter size.
All hearings are open to the public and there is no requirement that one must attend the borough hearing in which they reside or in which their property is located.
All members of the public who wish to obtain copies of the Board’s Information Booklet describing the rate proposal and changes to billing policies, or who wish to testify at a hearing should contact Kevin Kunkle, New York City Water Board, 59-17 Junction Boulevard, 8th Floor, Flushing, NY 11373, Telephone (718) 595-3601, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, not later than April 22, 2009. Oral testimony will be limited to five (5) minutes duration. A copy of any prepared or written statement may be submitted to the Water Board at the above address by the close of business April 24, 2009.
Pay Your Bill Now
Find out how to pay your water bill and check your account information online.
How are water rates determined?
Find answers to frequently asked questions at the NYC DEP website.