Try these ideas to reduce waste associated with barrels and drums:
- Reduce the number of barrels and drums that you use. One way to do this is to install a central bulk-fluid storage system that delivers oils and grease to individual bays. This system can reduce spills, costs, and cleanup and will allow for better tracking of fluid use.
- Reuse drums within your operations. Many can be used as trash or recycling receptacles, or for storage. Be sure that the drums are clean if they held dangerous materials. Contact the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation at (718) 482-4996 to find out how to properly dispose of plastic or metal drums that contained hazardous materials.
- To recondition 55-gallon metal, plastic or fiberglass drums, contact a private vendor. When purchasing materials in 55-gallon drums, ask your vendor to use reconditioned containers.
- City Agencies can recycle empty metal and plastic drums and containers through NYC’s recycling program. If you have more than six items, call the NYC Citizens’ Service Center at 311 to arrange for pickup.
- Organizations operating in leased commercial space should check with building management to see if scrap metal and rigid plastic is collected for recycling. If you generate a significant quantity of scrap metal along with the metal drums, contract with a private recycler to collect this material.
back to top | back to agency tips | back to business tips