Whether you are buying or discarding furniture, follow these tips to minimize waste and save money.
When purchasing furniture:
- Make sure to buy durable, long-lasting, classic items that will not damage easily if your office relocates, and will remain in style over time.
- Consider leasing furniture so that the manufacturer or retailer is responsible for reuse, recycling, or disposal at the end of the lease.
- Ask suppliers about used or remanufactured furniture; prices for quality, remanufactured furniture typically range from 30 to 50 percent less than new furniture.
- Contact the Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS), Office of Surplus Activities (OSA) at (212) 669-8550 to obtain surplus items relinquished by other City Agencies.
When discarding furniture:
- Relinquish or Donate usable furniture to charitable organizations. Before donating items, City Agencies must follow procedures for relinquishment of City property.
- Recycle damaged metal and plastic furniture. Large items that are at least 50 percent metal or plastic are required to be recycled in NYC.
- If wooden furniture is too damaged for repair or refurbishing, recycle it by contacting a wood broker to determine if it can be used as scrap wood for mulch, fuel, or other uses.
back to top | back to agency tips