The Mayor’s Food Waste Challenge (FWC) invites New York City groups in the private sector to help reduce landfilled food waste by committing to a 50 percent food waste diversion goal. Participation in the Food Waste Challenge is entirely voluntary and there are no entry or membership fees.
Benefits of the Food Waste Challenge
The Mayor’s Food Waste Challenge offers participants the opportunity to be recognized for their food waste diversion efforts as part of broader citywide goals. Participating stores have access to a diverse forum of peers, industry experts, and ancillary organizations that provide the contacts, best practices, and technical assistance to realize meaningful reductions in landfilled food waste.
Who Should Participate?
Businesses committed to reducing the amount of food waste that goes to landfill. Previous composting experience a plus, but not necessary.
- You can save money by improving operational efficiency
- Your customers will appreciate your efforts to close the loop on the farm-to-fork experience
- You will have opportunities for public recognition to highlight achievements in sustainability & waste reduction operations
- Join the industry in leading by example and achieving sustainable operations
- We will help you through the process – giving you access to technical assistance and resources you might need