Part of evaluating the NYC Organics Collection pilot is assessing various types of curbside organics collection bins. DSNY's bin specifications have been carefully selected based on waste generation rates, frequency of collection, effectiveness at keeping out pests, compatibility with mechanized collection, and the durability of bins over time.
Find specific bin information for your entity below.
houses and small residential buildings
large apartment buildings, agencies & institutions
bags and liners
back to collections
Houses and Small Residential Buildings (1-9 Units)
During the pilot phase, DSNY provides bins to each house and small residential building in participating neighborhods. One- and two-family homes receive 13-gallon bins, and buildings with 3 to 9 units receive 21-gallon bins. Small counter top kitchen collectors are provided for each unit. If there is a problem with your bin, send us a message online.
back to top | back to collections
Large Apartment Buildings, Agencies & Institutions
Apartment buildings with 10+ units, and agencies & insitutions must utilize bins that:
- Are 35-gallons in size or under
- Have at least two wheels
- Have an attached/hinged lid
- Are labeled with the NYC Organics Collection decal
- Are not the color blue or green. Preferred color is brown.
The shape, features, and brand of bin are all decisions that are up to the individual building.
Please note: These requirements are for bins to be set out for collection. You may choose to utilize additional bins for internal collection.
Bin Selection Tips
- Size. When choosing a bin size, take into account your building's organics collection set-up, collection procedures (whether or not you have an elevator), frequency of collection, building space requirements, and curbside collection location. Bins may not exceed 35 gallons in size.
- Latching lids. Latching lids are helpful for multiple reasons. They prevent the contents of the bin from spilling out if the bin is knocked over; they inhibit contamination from passers-by; and they make tampering from pests difficult. IMPORTANT: There is a difference between latching lids and locking lids. If you purchase a bin with a latch, make sure you do not purchase bins whose lids lock shut or require a key or combination to open.
- Caster wheels. Casters enhance the mobility of carts by propping the cart up on four wheels and allowing the cart to turn easily. This is a luxury feature and may not be available on all bins.
- Thick-walls. Bins with thick walls tend to be more durable and last longer than bins with thinner walls.
- Hot Stamp/Molding. Some bin manufacturing companies offer options to personalize bins with a company logo using a hot-stamp or mold.
- Serial Numbers: Serial numbers can be useful for large buildings that want to keep track of their inventory. Each bin will come with a unique number identifying the bin.
- Warranty. Be sure to ask about the warranty of the bin. Most bin warranties are good for ten years.
back to top | back to collections
During the pilot phase, DSNY provides brown food waste bins to participating schools.
If your school requires a replacement bin, follow the bin replacement policy below.
NYC Organics Bin Replacement Policy for NYC DOE Schools (pdf)
NYC Organics Bin Replacement Policy for Private Schools (pdf)
To order decals for organics bins, please fill out the school materials request form.
Recycling and trash bins are the responsibility of each school to procure. They can be ordered through the SDI catalog. The color of bin does not matter as long as it is labeled correctly.