Special Waste Drop Off sites accept many items from residents that Sanitation will not pick up in the regular trash and recycling collection program.
- Car Accessories: automotive batteries, motor oil, transmission fluid, motor oil filters, tires
- Batteries: lithium batteries, alkaline batteries, rechargeable batteries
- Common Household Products: latex paint, compact fluorescent light bulbs, mercury containing devices (such as thermometers)
You can also disposing of many these items through donation, return programs and SAFE Events.
All Special Waste Drop Off sites are located in Sanitation Garages. Use these detailed instructions to find the exact location of the drop off site since the garages are often very large.
- Bronx: Located in Hunts Point at Farragut Street and the East River, next to the Fulton Fish Market. Enter on Farragut Street, off Food Center Drive.
- Brooklyn: Located in Bensonhurst at 25th Avenue and Gravesend Bay (next to DSNY Brooklyn District 11 garage and the Adventurers Amusement Park, formerly known as Nellie Bly Amusement Park).
- Manhattan: 605 West 30th Street, New York, NY. Located at DSNY fuel yard at West 30th Street at 12th Avenue, adjacent to the DSNY Manhattan District 6 garage. Enter on 12th Avenue, across from the Air Pegasus V.I.P. Heliport.
- Queens: Located in College Point at 30th Avenue, between 120th and 122nd Streets, at the northwest corner of the DSNY Queens District 7 garage. Enter at 30th Avenue off College Point Boulevard; take a left after 122nd Street.
- Staten Island:Located at the foot of Muldoon Avenue, located off the Muldoon Avenue exit of the southbound West Shore Expressway (440), adjacent to the DSNY Staten Island District 3 garage.
Hours of Operation
Sites are open from 10 am to 5 pm on:
- Fridays before the last Saturday of each month, and
- Saturdays except for the last Saturday of each month.
Drop Off Instructions
- NYC residents must show a valid NY State driver’s license and a vehicle registration with a NYC address. If arriving without a vehicle, NYC residents can provide a picture ID and proof of residency, such as a utility or telephone bill.
- These facilities may not be immediately visible since they are generally located within DSNY garages. If you have trouble locating the site, please ask for assistance from a DSNY Garage Foreman or Supervisor.
- Check in with a DSNY official who will record your name, address, vehicle registration, and what special waste you are dropping off.
- Sites operate on a monitored “do-it-yourself” basis. A DSNY official will instruct residents to empty their Special Wastes into labeled storage containers. Be sure to dress accordingly — for example, sturdy shoes, casual clothing, and work gloves are recommended.
NOTE: Sanitation will not collect commercial waste at special waste drop off sites.