Sanitation Will Not Pick Up
How to Dispose Items Sanitation Will Not Pick Up
- SAFE Event: Sanitation collects many harmful household products, electronics, medications, and cell phones for recycling and safe disposal.
- Special Waste Drop Off Site: NYC residents may bring select harmful materials to one of Sanitation’s Household Special Waste Drop-Off Sites
- Return Programs: You can drop off certain items that are required by law to be accepted by retailers or manufacturers.
- Donation or Exchanges: If items are in good condition consider donation or exchange.
Sanitation Will Pick Up
- Cleaning Liquids: Must be dried out and double bagged. Liquids must not be flammable.
- Paint: Must be dried out and double bagged before placing in the trash c.
- Broken Glass: Must be double bagged.
- Six Pack Rings: Cut rings before discarding.
- Sharp Objects (other than needles): Knives and similar metal objects should be wrapped in cardboard and secured with tape. Label the package “Caution: Sharp” and placed in your recycling.
- Mattresses: Must be placed out in a sealed bag to prevent the spread of bed bugs.
- Appliances containing CFCs & Freon: Must schedule an appointment with Sanitation.
Tips for Handling Harmful Household Products
For a complete list of harmful household products and information on how to safely use, handle and dispose harmful household products, read Sanitation’s Harmful Household Products Guide (PDF).