Sanitation created the NYC Compost Project in 1993 to provide composting education and outreach to New Yorkers and community organizations. Contact your NYC Compost Project borough hub to:
- Attend an educational workshop
- Purchase a composting bin
- Get general composting questions answered
- Receive technical assistance
Workshops and Certifications
View the upcoming events or contact your NYC Compost Project borough hub to register for the courses and workshops below.
- Master Composter Certificate Course: Learn about the small-scale composting process, how to use finished compost, how to design and build on-site compost systems and techniques for teaching others about composting
- Outdoor Composting: Learn the essentials of composting, from choosing the right bin to harvesting your finished product.
- Indoor Composting: Learn how to set up a worm bin and harvest the finished product.
- Mulch Mowing (PDF): Learn to reduce your yard waste by leaving grass clippings on the lawn.
Operational Assistance for Community Organizations
The NYC Compost project provides technical and operational assistance to community organizations. The NYC Compost Project is currently providing technical composting assistance and resources to over 200 community groups and gardens.
- Technical Assistance Program: Contact the NYC Compost Project borough hub for help launching or expanding a community garden or composting site.
- Demonstration Site Program: The NYC Compost Project recognizes community based compost sites that have exemplary composting operations and are committed to teaching New Yorkers about the benefits of composting.
Drop Off Sites & Local Processing of Food & Yard Waste
The Local Organic Recovery Program provides residents with a wider range of food scrap drop-off opportunities and ensures food scraps are composted locally. Note that residents can also volunteer at a Local Organic Recovery Program site. Volunteer opportunities include staffing a drop off site or helping to process a compost site.
For more information, read the NYC Compost Project brochure (PDF).