Residents often throw out household items that can be donated—last year New Yorkers threw out approximately 200,000 tons of clothes. There are many ways you donate unwanted items and reduce your household waste.
Clothing & Furniture
- re-fashioNYC: Sanitation and Housing Works are partnering to make clothing donation as easy as possible through convenient in-building drop-off service.
- Goodwill Industries: Donations help empower individuals with disabilities.
- Salvation Army: Adult rehabilitation centers are funded by clothing and furniture donation
- Animal Shelters: Animal Shelters often have "wish lists" posted on their websites listing types of items that they need including: old linens, cleaning supplies, office supplies, fans, etc.
- Computers for Youth: Accepts donations of used computers from companies to improve the home learning environment of school children from low income families.
- National Cristina Foundation: Accepts used computers that are then recycled or refurbished and placed with educational and nonprofit organizations.
- World Computer Exchange: Helps to bridge the global digital divide for youth all over the world by expanding local capacity for the educational use and responsible disposal of computers. Arranges pick up for large donations; accepts small donations through mail or drop-off.
NOTE: Sanitation’s mention of these resources does not constitute an endorsement.