New York City Housing Authority

Translate this Page Printer Friendly Format Sign-up for NYCHA Newsletter
Information for Tenants

NYCHA'S Section 8 Program is an affordable housing option for many families because it enables voucher-holders to rent housing of their own choice. Rental payments are not to exceed more than 40 percent of the household income during the initial lease-up and during transfers.

Section 8 participants are required to comply with program rules, which includes: completing the Annual Recertification, allowing access to their unit for HQS inspections; and complying with their lease agreement.

Annual Recertification
On an annual basis, participants are required to submit family composition, income, asset, and expense information to NYCHA to determine eligibility.

Participants must submit an Affidavit of Income (AOI), the Declaration of Assets form, and a Third Party Verification-Consent to Release Information form, for all household members, 18 years of age or older. In addition, participants must also submit supporting documentation for their family’s income, assets, and expenses. NYCHA will verify all information submitted, and if approved, will provide the participant with a Voucher Change Notification. This notice will specify the share of the rent and the Housing Assistance Payments (HAP) subsidy NYCHA will pay to the owner on the participant’s behalf.

Reporting a Family Change
Families who experience a change in your family composition, income, assets, and/or expenses, can request an Interim Change by calling the Customer Contact Center, Monday - Friday, between the hours of 8am and 5pm, at 718-707-7771.

Housing Quality Standard Inspections
HQS standards are the minimum criteria all units must meet before assistance can be paid on behalf of the family. NYCHA must perform an HQS inspection before a tenant can move into a new unit. NYCHA also conducts special and regular inspections.

Section 8 units may be selected for a Quality Control inspection, at any time, as part of a random sample required by HUD.

A Section 8 voucher holder can live anywhere in New York City, the United States, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands as long as there is a Public Housing Authority (PHA) operating an HCV Program. This option is known as Portability. To request a “Port-Out”, a participant must submit a Voucher Holder’s Request for Transfer form. The participant will need to provide the name, address, and contact person of the PHA he/she intends to port to. For additional information or assistance, please call the Customer Contact Center, Monday - Friday, between the hours of 8am and 5pm, at 718-707-7771.

Tenant Self-Service Portal for Section 8 Voucher Holders
Log on to the Tenant Self Service Portal to check case details such as rent share and voucher size, reschedule annual inspections, view and upload documents related to Annual Recertification, initiate a complaint of building and/or unit violations, and much more!

Income Verification
Reporting a Change of Income   

Emergency Transfer Policies (in PDF)
Apartment Rental Listings  
Housing Connect 

Notices/Forms for Section 8 Tenants
HQS Booklet 
HCV Participant Brochure 
Family Self-Sufficiency Program (FSS) 
Voucher Payment Standards & Utility Allowance Schedule 
Government of Puerto Rico Birth Certificates 

Accessible Transportation Options and More for People with Disabilities 
Section 8 Participants, who would like information about accessible transportation or other helpful resources in New York City, can visit the Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) website at:
The website contains a wealth of information to help individuals with disabilities access the many opportunities New York City has to offer.

Frequently Asked Questions
Tenant Questions & Answers
Important Information for Section 8 Tenants

Contact Us 
Find out where to mail documents, ask a question, get the help you need.