New York City Housing Authority

Translate this Page Printer Friendly Format Sign-up for NYCHA Newsletter
Information for Tenants

Important Information for Section 8 Tenants

The Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program, also known as Section 8, is a federally-funded program that provides rental assistance to eligible low-income families to find affordable housing in the private rental market.

To remain eligible for continued rental assistance, as a participant, you must:

  • Report changes in family income and composition during your Annual Recertification
  • Allow your unit to be inspected annually
  • Comply with the lease between you and the Section 8 property owner

You must complete an Annual Recertification to determine continued eligibility for the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program. As part of this process, you must provide information about your household income, assets, expenses, and family composition.

When it’s time to recertify, NYCHA will ask you to complete and submit an Affidavit of Income (AOI) and Third Party Verification—Consent to Release form for all household members 18 years of age or older. You must also provide supporting documentation, such as proof of income, assets, and expenses for all family members.

NYCHA will verify the information submitted and calculate your share of the rent. You will receive a Voucher Change Notice (VCN) informing you of the portion of the rent that you will be responsible for; and the portion that NYCHA will pay, on your behalf, to the Section 8 property owner.
Annual Recertifications must be completed on time. Failure to do so may result in termination of your Section 8 subsidy.


You may report a change in your income, assets, expenses, and/or family composition, at any time, by requesting an Interim Recertification. To report a change, contact the Customer Contact Center. You will be asked to complete and submit an Interim Change form. You must also provide documentation to support your request for an interim change.


NYCHA must perform a Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection before a participant moves into a new unit, and annually thereafter. HQS sets the minimum standards for a unit before housing assistance payments can be paid on behalf of you and your family.
NYCHA will automatically schedule an annual inspection. If you are unable to keep the appointment, notify us as soon as possible by calling the Customer Contact Center. You may also go to NYCHA’s website to access the Tenant Self-Service portal to reschedule your inspection up to 48 hours before the scheduled inspection date.
If your unit fails inspection, you must allow the owner access to your unit to complete repairs. It is a violation of the HCV Program if you do not allow the owner access to your unit to complete repairs. Failure to correct HQS violations within the specified timeframe may result in suspension of the subsidy payment to the owner.


Moving Within City Limits – Transfers
As a voucher holder, you have the option to move to a new unit when your lease expires or is set to expire within 60 days. Exceptions are made in an emergency situation.
You have 120 days from the issuance of the voucher to find a new unit to rent.
Transfer requests are prioritized as ‘emergency’ and ‘non-emergency’ based on your reason for transfer.
Emergency transfer reasons include:

  • Victim of Domestic Violence (VDV)
  • Intimidated Victim (IV)
  • Intimidated Witness (IW)
  • Child Sexual Victim (CSV)
  • 24-Hour Life Threatening HQS Inspection Violations
  • Natural Disaster
  • Court Action
  • Foreclosure Action or Order to Vacate
  • Reasonable Accommodation

You must provide specific documentation to support an emergency transfer request.

Moving Outside of City Limits – Portability
As a voucher holder, you have the option of leasing a unit anywhere in the United States, Puerto Rico, and U.S. Virgin Islands as long as there is a public housing agency operating an HCV Program. This option is known as Portability.

You must provide the name and full address of the housing authority you intend to port to, and the full name of the contact person for the housing authority. If you do not have this information, we will help you get it. Call the Customer Contact Center for assistance.

Moving to New York City
If you are interested in moving to New York City from another jurisdiction, please contact the Customer Contact Center for more information.


If you or a household member has a medical condition or disability that requires NYCHA’s assistance, you may be eligible for a reasonable accommodation. An example of a reasonable accommodation is NYCHA providing an additional bedroom, at the request of a tenant with a medical need that is supported by documentation from a medical professional.

You can request a reasonable accommodation by filling out the ‘Request for Reasonable Accommodation’ form or by calling the Customer Contact Center. You will be asked to provide supporting documentation.


The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) requires that NYCHA terminate assistance for certain offenses, when the family no longer requires assistance, and for not complying with program requirements. For example, if a program participant fails to recertify or allow his/her unit to be inspected annually, NYCHA will review the circumstances and proceed with termination action.

Contact Us 
Find out where to mail documents, ask a question, get the help you need.