New York City Housing Authority

Translate this Page Printer Friendly Format Sign-up for NYCHA Newsletter
Information for Tenants

Top Things Section 8 Landlords Should Know


Here are some of the top things you should know:

  1. As a Section 8 owner, you have 24 hour access to information regarding your Section 8 tenant(s), payment(s), and service request(s) via the Owner Extranet. Registering for the portal allows you to enroll in direct deposit, view check register and payment history, submit lease renewal requests along with supporting documents, track the status of service requests, upload NE-2 and NE-1PS inspection certifications, view tenant profile information, and many other features.
  2. Owners may submit lease renewal requests and leases to online via the Owner Extranet or via mail at NYCHA via P.O. Box 19197, Long Island City, New York 11101. You may also submit these documents in-person at one of NYCHA’s Walk-in Center (WIC) locations. Lease renewals must be submitted at least 60 days prior to the lease effective date. Contract rent changes should be submitted via mail at NYCHA via P.O. Box 19197, Long Island City, New York 11101 or at one of NYCHA’s WIC locations.
  3. As of July 1, 2014, NYCHA no longer accepts ‘NE-2 Certification of Completed Repairs’ and ‘NE-1PS Notification of Completed Building Repairs’ via fax. The fastest way to submit certifications, related work orders, and/or proof of completed repairs is online via the Owner Extranet. Owners can scan documents or use a smartphone or tablet to take a picture of the signed certifications and upload to a computer for online submission. Please do not submit the same certification multiple times, as doing so will slow the NYCHA approval process down.
  4. DO NOT replicate or copy any NYCHA forms! Our forms have 2 distinct barcodes, one that identifies the form and one that is unique to the voucher holder. If you copy or try to replicate the form and/or the barcodes, the form will not be read by our scanners and the form will not attach to the voucher holders case and therefore it will not appear and will be tantamount to never sending it in.
  5. We are aware that some owners assist their tenants in filling out the annual recertification package. This is fine as long as you remember once again, DO NOT replicate or copy the annual review forms. A copy of the form will not allow the 2D barcode to be scanned properly. Whether you or your tenant is filling out the form, please remember to not cross out on the form, do not use white out, or write NA or strike a line across the form. Please do: write clearly, fill out only the areas that pertain to the tenant (do not put NA, just leave blank). And most importantly, make certain that the tenant and all adult family members sign the Affidavit of Income (AOI) and related forms in the package. These are required forms by HUD and failure to sign them creates serious delay in processing. Also, encourage tenants to send in all required documentation at the time they submit their AOI package. If they are employed, send in paystubs, if they receive Social Security benefits; please send the current year’s award letter, etc. This method also applies to any tenant interim changes in income or family composition. Sending in as much documentation as possible with the request for a change allows for more expeditious processing.
  6. Owners are encouraged to sign up for Direct Deposit. NYCHA no longer issues paper checks. If you do not sign up for Direct Deposit, your will receive your HAP payment on a bank-issued debit card. You can register for Direct Deposit on the Owner Extranet.
  7. NYCHA strongly encourages owners to register on our Owner Extranet by logging on to and clicking on the “Section 8 Assistance” tab. Registering for the Extranet will allow you to review NE-2 failed unit and public space violations, submit lease renewal requests, and many more features.
  8. Communication begins with the Customer Contact Center (CCC) if you have questions. If you feel that you are not getting the responses you need, please note the day and time of your call and the person you spoke with. The NYCHA Call Center has a sophisticated quality assurance program and we are able to review all calls. This will assist us greatly in determining where we can improve customer service. The Call Center number is 718-707-7771.
  9. You must contact the Leased Housing Eviction Review Unit if you wish to commence legal action against your Section 8 tenant. The Eviction Hotline is 212-306-8500.

Contact Us  
Find out where to mail documents, ask a question, and get the help you need .