The New York City Housing Authority is authorized by federal law to require families receiving Section 8 subsidy to verify their reported income. This will ensure that federal funds are spent in a fair manner. If you, or any member of your family 18 years or older, has any of the following changes in income during the year, you must call 718-707-7771 or visit your Borough Customer Contact Center to report the change in income within 30 days of the change. Income changes include the following:
- receives an increase in pay from their present job which is greater than $2,400.00 per year,
- previously unemployed and obtains employment,
- previously received Public Assistance benefits and obtains new employment,
- previously received Unemployment benefits and obtains new employment,
- previously received Workman’s compensation and obtains new employment,
- a full-time student who obtains employment
Section 8 tenants were notified of NYCHA’s new policy concerning the reporting of increases in income via letter. See the letter below and translations of the letter in Spanish, Chinese and Russian.