Dear NYCHA Resident:
If you lived or worked near the World Trade Center on or after the terrorist attacks on September 2001, you may be eligible for:
- Financial compensation, if you were physically injured and register before October 3, 2013
- Treatment with no out of pocket costs if you are experiencing physical or mental health symptoms related to the attacks
- Find out more about these federal programs, which require separate enrollment below this letter. Please note that if you participated in the World Trade Center rescue, recovery and clean up operations the same programs are available to you.
John B. Rhea
September 11 Victim Compensation Fund (VCF)
Eligibility area: South Canal Street to East Broadway, then along Clinton Street to the East River.
The VCF provides financial compensation to individuals who were physically injured (including illnesses such as heartburn, difficulty breathing and cancer) as a result of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks for their economic losses. You can register online with the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund (VCF).
The deadline for most people to register is October 13. Registration is fairly simple, but completing the eligibility and compensation forms (this does NOT have to be done before October 3) may be easier if you hire a lawyer. Federal law prohibits lawyers from collecting more than 10% of any compensation you are awarded as payment for their services. Call the New York City Bar Association at 212-626-73 73 for a referral.
World Trade Center (WTC) Health Program
Eligibility area: 1.5 miles from the WTC site (south of Houston Street river to river in Manhattan and part of Brooklyn)
The WTC Health Program provides monitoring and treatment (including medications) to people with 9/11-related physical and mental health symptoms such as difficulty breathing, heartburn, cancer, and psychological distress. It also offers:
- Open enrollment (no deadline)
- No out-of-pocket costs
- Lower Manhattan and Queens locations
Please note: These programs require separate enrollment and are NOT related to the World Trade Center Health Registry, which sends health surveys to 71,000 enrollees every few years. However, WTC Health Registry enrollment can help you establish your eligibility for these programs. Call 866-692-9827 to find out if you are enrolled.