Clason Point Gardens, which was completed on December 20, 1941, commemorated its 65th Anniversary in January 2007. Located in the Clason Point section of the Bronx, Clason Point Gardens was the first public housing development in the borough and was originally built to house veterans returning home from World War II. The low-rise development is situated on 17 acres and consists of 46, two-story buildings. Its 400 apartments are home to 887 New York City Housing Authority residents (NYCHA).
Forest Houses, in the Morrisania neighborhood of the Bronx, commemorated its 50th Anniversary in January 2007. Forest Houses was completed on November 12, 1956, in the period (1952-1958) during which NYCHA built the greatest number of dwelling units in its history, thanks to the Housing Act of 1949. The development is within walking distance of Yankee Stadium. Situated on a 19.62- acre site, the development encompasses 46 nine-, ten- and 14-story buildings housing some 3,240 residents. The Forest Houses Softball Team, sponsored by Teamsters Local 237, is the reigning three-year champion of NYCHA’s Softball League.