Smith Houses on the Lower East Side of Manhattan will be getting totally refurbished grounds and a new playground surrounding all 12 buildings on the 21.75-acre complex under a $6,148,000 contract recently awarded by the Board of the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA).
New pavement, fences, curbs, walls, ramps, steps, steel benches, trash receptacles, concrete tables and plantings will be installed. Also, there will be new play equipment with safety surface, spray showers, outdoor lighting and exterior trash compactors.
“Smith Houses, located at the foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, is a familiar site, noted NYCHA Chairman Tino Hernandez. “This renewal at Smith Houses demonstrates to our residents our commitment to them, improving their environment and preserving their neighborhood,” he added.
The contract was awarded to GKC Industries, Inc. and is expected to take two years to complete, once work begins.
Smith Houses, completed April 1, 1953, was named for former New York State Governor Alfred E. Smith.
The complex’ 12 buildings, 15, 16 and 17-stories tall, have 1,931 apartments housing some 4,316 residents. St. James Place, Madison, Catherine and South Streets border the development.