NYCHA advises residents and employees to take the following precautions to prepare for the effects of Hurricane Sandy on areas of New York City:
The following instructions are issued for your protection during the storm:
BEFORE THE STORM STRIKES
- Keep all windows closed and locked. Pull down shades and draw drapes to protect against possible broken glass.
- For NYCHA Residents: Assist the Authority by closing and locking all windows in stair halls, lobbies and other public spaces.
- Have sufficient amounts of water for drinking purposes in the event of water supply interruption.
- Have flashlights and extra batteries available for use in the event of a power failure.
- Have a portable battery powered radio to listen for current weather announcements.
IF THE STORM STRIKES
- Stay indoors, stay away from windows and avoid unnecessary travel, either on foot or by vehicle. If you must go out, make sure all windows are closed and locked and all water faucets are turned off.
- Avoid using elevators whenever possible during the storm. If a power failure occurs while you are on an elevator, STAY CALM. Help will be on its way.
- For NYCHA Residents: If electricity goes off in your building, or if other emergencies occur, call NYCHA's Customer Contact Center: (718) 707-7771.
- Do not go near or touch any downed electrical wires because they are extremely dangerous.
- Listen to your radio or television for the latest Weather Bureau reports and any instructions from the Mayors' Office of Emergency Management.
- For your protection and the safety of your neighbors, please comply with all orders and official notifications received during the storm.
- In the event of an emergency please call 911.
ONCE AGAIN, FOR YOUR SAFETY, PLEASE: KEEP ALL WINDOWS CLOSED AND LOCKED
October 26, 2012
NYCHA Hurricane Instructions (English) (in PDF)
(En Español), (Русский Russian), (中文 Chinese) (in PDF)