STRAUSS/344 EAST 28th STREET
228 East 28th Street
New York, NY 10016
(212) 689-0660 Fax (212) 213-4997
East 27th Street/2nd Avenue
East 28th Street/3rd Avenue
6 to 28th Street – walk east
M15 to 28th Street and 2nd Avenue
NAMED AFTER: NATHAN STRAUSS (1848-1931) – Co-owner of the R. H. Macy & Co. department store in Manhattan and Abraham & Strauss in Brooklyn, Strauss served as Parks Commissioner of New York City from 1889 to 1893. He was a member of the Board of NYCHA from 1936-37. He led a campaign for the compulsory pasteurization of milk and established pasteurized-milk stations here and in other cities. His philanthropic activities included the maintenance of a system of lodging houses and relief stations distributing coal and food to the poor in New York City. In the 1890s, one winter he gave away more than two million tickets that could be redeemed for coal, food or lodging. Strauss Houses is in Manhattan.
SITE STATISTICS AND DESCRIPTION:
Nathan Strauss Houses in Manhattan has two buildings, 19 and 20-stories tall with 267 apartments housing some 522 residents. Completed January 31, 1965, the 1.06-acre site is between East 27th and East 28th Streets, Second and Third Avenues.