61 Pike Street
New York, NY 10002
(212) 964-8950 Fax (212) 406-2953
Pike Street/Madison Street
Rutgers Street/Cherry Street
F to East Broadway – walk 1 block to Pike Street
M9 – East Broadway and Pike – walk 3 blocks south to Pike Street
M22 to Madison Street and Pike Street – walk 1 block south
NAMED AFTER: HENRY RUTGERS (1745 – 1830) – The last descendant of Dutch immigrants who came to this country in 1636. A captain in the Revolutionary War, he went on to be a major landowner and philanthropist. He became a member of the State Assembly and funded the construction of the first Great Wigwam of Tammany Hall in 1811. His farm, the "Bouwery" comprised much of the land on the Lower East Side near Chatham Square and Chinatown. He gave away much of his land for churches. Rutgers Houses is on the site of his farm. He also was a regent of the State University of New York, Trustee of Princeton University and a founder of Queen's College in New Brunswick, N.J., which became Rutgers University in 1825. Rutgers Houses is in Manhattan.
SITE STATISTICS AND DESCRIPTION:
Rutgers Houses on Manhattan's Lower East Side has five, 20-story buildings with 721 apartments housing about 1,675 residents. Completed March 31, 1965, the 5.22-acre complex is bordered by Cherry, Pike, Madison and Rutgers Streets.