DREW HAMILTON HOUSES
CONSOLIDATED WITH: PUBLIC SCHOOL 139
210 West 142nd Street
New York, NY 10030
(212) 862-2500 Fax (212) 283-0582
West 142nd Street/Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard
West 144st Street/Frederick Douglass Boulevard
3 to 145th Street – walk southwest to 142nd Street
A, B, C, D to 145th Street – walk southeast to 142nd Street
BX2, BX19 to 145th Street and Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Boulevard
BX10 to 142nd Street – Frederick Douglass Boulevard
BX15 to 125th Street – transfer to BX2
NAMED AFTER: Cornelius J. Drew (1895 - 1962) – Monsignor Cornelius J. Drew was the pastor of St. Charles Borromeo R. C. Church, adjacent to the NYCHA development now named for him, which received its first occupants in 1963. He was an outstanding leader in community affairs and was a member of the District 10 Planning Board in Harlem where he served for 13 years, at times as the treasurer and vice-president. He was also a former vice president of the Citizens Housing and Planning Council. He was described as a "staunch fighter" for improved housing conditions in Harlem and strongly advocated construction of the five building low-income development, which is named for him and Alexander Hamilton. Drew-Hamilton Houses is in Manhattan.
ALEXANDER HAMILTON (1755 - 1804) – An American statesman who went on to become the nation's first Secretary of the Treasury. He had been Gen. George Washington's aide-de-camp during the American Revolution. He was a delegate to the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention and he sponsored legislation to create the Bank of the United States. Thomas Jefferson later defeated his Federalist Party and Hamilton was killed in a duel with Aaron Burr, who had been angered by Hamilton's efforts that prevented Burr from becoming President and later, Governor of New York. Drew-Hamilton Houses is in Manhattan.
SITE STATISTICS AND DESCRIPTION:
Cornelius J. Drew – Alexander Hamilton Houses consists of five, 21-story buildings on 7.17 acres in Manhattan. It has 1,207 apartments housing about 2,891 residents. Completed September 30, 1965, the development is between West 141st and West 144th Streets, from Powell to Douglass Boulevards.