1805 Crotona Avenue
Bronx, NY 10457
(718) 589-8330 Fax (718) 861-4493
Crotona Ave./Cross Bronx Expressway
Crotona Park North
6 to East Tremont and Third Avenue
BX17 to Crotona Avenue/ Crotona Park North
BX17 intersects with BX40 and BX42 at East Tremont and Crotona Avenue
NAMED AFTER: ARTHUR MURPHY (1868 - 1922) – The first Democratic Party Chairman in Bronx County, Murphy served on the New York City Board of Aldermen in the early 1900s. Murphy had a liquor, cigar and real estate business in the Bronx, where he had settled after completing his studies at Ottawa University. He was a member of the general committee of Tammany Hall, the Democratic Party power base. He was the party's first Bronx leader after it became a separate county in1914. Murphy maintained his own political club in his saloon near Bronx Borough Hall. Arthur Murphy Square in his old district at Third Avenue and 181st Street bears his name. Murphy Houses is in the Bronx.
SITE STATISTICS AND DESCRIPTION:
Arthur H. Murphy Houses consists of two, 20-story buildings in the Bronx with 281 apartments housing some 714 residents. Completed March 31, 1964, the 2.63-acre site is bordered by Crotona Avenue, Crotona Park North and the Cross Bronx Expressway.