MOORE, E. R. HOUSES
Saint Mary's Park
East 149th Street
Bronx, NY 10455
(718) 585-5760 Fax (718) 993-3751
Clymer Avenue/East 149th Street
Jackson Avenue/Trinity Avenue
2, 5 local to Jackson Avenue – walk down Jackson Avenue to 149th Street
BX19 to East 149th Street and Trinity Avenue
NAMED AFTER: E. ROBERTS MOORE (1894 - 1952) – The Rt. Rev. Monsignor E. Roberts Moore was Pastor of Old St. Peter's Church on Barclay Street at the corner of Church St., in Lower Manhattan from 1937 until his death. It is the oldest Catholic Church in the City. Ordained in 1919, he served as Director of Social Action of Catholic Charities; was a professor at the Fordham University School of Social Science and Archdiocesan Director of the Catholic Youth Organization before retiring from social work to devote his full attention to his duties as Pastor of St. Peter's. During the tenure of Mayor Fiorello LaGuardia, Monsignor Moore was a member of the city's Slum Clearance Committee and a member of the first Board of the New York City Housing Authority in 1934. He once escorted the former King of England, then the Duke of Windsor on a tour of Housing Authority Developments. Moore Houses is in the Bronx.
SITE STATISTICS AND DESCRIPTION:
E. Roberts Moore Houses in the Bronx consists of two, 20-story buildings with 463 apartments housing an estimated 1,247 residents. The 2.69-acre site completed March 31, 1964 is bordered by Clymer and East 149th Streets, Jackson and Trinity Avenues.