227 Division Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(718) 387-3838 Fax (718) 388-8997
Division Avenue/Roebling Street
J, M, Z, to Marcy Avenue - walk 1 block
to Division Avenue and Marcy Avenue
B24, B40, B44, B46, B47 and Q54 to
Marcy Avenue and Broadway
NAMED AFTER: JONATHAN WILLIAMS (1750 – 1815) – A highly educated soldier and engineer, Colonel Jonathan Williams, a member of the Army Corps of Engineers, had surveyed the area of Brooklyn which was later named for him as Williamsburg. Actually Williamsburg became an independent city in 1827, but joined Brooklyn in 1855. He was the first commander and later Superintendent of West Point, the U.S. Military Academy. He planned and built most of the forts in New York Harbor and on Governors Island, including Fort Columbus, Fort Clinton (now Castle Garden) and Castle Williams. He was later considered the "father of the corps of engineers." Williams was elected to Congress from Philadelphia in 1814, but died before taking his seat. Williams Plaza is in Brooklyn.
SITE STATISTICS AND DESCRIPTION:
Jonathan Williams Plaza in Brooklyn has five buildings, 14 and 21-stories tall with 577 apartments housing some 1,674 people. Completed April 15, 1964, the 5.58-acre site is bordered by Roebling Street, Broadway, Division and Marcy Avenues.