New York City Housing Authority

Translate this Page Printer Friendly Format Sign-up for NYCHA Newsletter
Contact NYCHA

Freedom Of Information Law (FOIL)

The Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) promotes the policy of open government. FOIL was designed to make documents generated by and in the possession of government agencies, available to the public with certain specific exceptions.

It is important to note that you do not need to make a FOIL request if you are seeking

  1. an Application for Public Housing or
  2. your own Employment Record/Personnel File.

Public Housing Applications 

All requests for public housing applications and qualifications for public housing should be made directly to NYCHA’s Applications & Tenancy Administration Department. Please refer to NYCHA’s website for assistance on applying for Public Housing. Applications can be downloaded from the website here. 

Employment Records/Personnel Files 

All requests from NYCHA employees for their own Employment Records/Personnel Files should be made directly to NYCHA’s Human Resources Department located at 90 Church Street, New York New York 10007: General Information Number: (212)306-8000. 

How to Make a FOIL Request 

For more information about how to make a FOIL request please visit our
FOIL Request page.