MTA New York City Transit operates Access-A-Ride, the City’s paratransit system. Access-A-Ride (AAR) provides transportation for people with disabilities who are unable to use public bus or subway service for some or all of their trips. It offers shared ride, door-to-door paratransit service. MTA New York City Transit administers AAR; private carriers under contract to NYC Transit provide service. Service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including holidays.
Fares, Personal Care Attendants, and Guests
The one-way fare for each registered passenger and each guest is the same as the full fare on mass transit. Please pay the driver the exact amount at the time of your ride. AAR drivers do not provide change. Personal Care Attendants (PCAs) ride free when accompanying AAR customers whose IDs indicate they travel with a PCA. One paying guest per trip may accompany the customer.
Visit the MTA Web site at www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/paratran/guide.htm to apply for eligibility.
To Arrange a Trip
Call the Paratransit Command Center at (877) 337-2017, (718) 393-4999, TTY (718) 393-4257 or TTY Relay (800) 662-1220 between 7 am and 5 pm daily, one to two days in advance of your trip. When the recorded message begins, press "2." You will be connected to a reservationist. Please have the following information ready:
- Your ID number, as it appears on your AAR identification card.
- The date of your trip(s).
- Your pick-up and destination addresses (include cross streets whenever possible).
- The telephone number of your destination address.
- The time you wish to arrive.
- Whether you will be traveling with a PCA, a guest, or both.
- Any special instructions such as the need for the vehicle operator to announce his or her presence if you are visually impaired.
- Please provide the same information for the return trip.
Paratransit subscription service is for AAR customers who make a trip that starts at the same place and ends at the same destination at the same time one or more days a week.
- Always wait where the driver can see you.
- Be ready to travel at your scheduled pick-up time and be prepared to wait up to 30 minutes after that time.
- Drivers who arrive within a 30-minute waiting period are considered on time.
- The driver must wait for you for 5 minutes from the time the vehicle arrives during or past the 30-minute waiting period.
- If you miss your ride at the start of a trip, but manage to reach your destination, call
the Command Center to confirm your return ride.
- Make your reservation one to two days in advance.
Detailed Information on Access-A-Ride
For more detailed information on Access-A-Ride, visit the MTA Web site at: http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/paratran/guide.htm
MTA NYC Transit, Paratransit Division
130 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
TTY (718) 596-8273
Click the icon above to read news on accessible mass transit and paratransit services.
Go to Next Resource or Back to List or Back to Top