Follow us at:

Facebook Twitter


The following information listed below is meant to assist people with disabilities in finding helpful resources, services and/or benefits available from agencies that specialize in Advocacy, such as assistance with entitlements, employment, education, independent living, housing, health care and other issues.  The goal of these agencies is to equip you with the right tools and services to best provide the assistance you need.

Department for the Aging
Human Resources Administration – Department of Social Services
NYC Administration for Children’s Services
NYC Office of Emergency Management
National Learning Disabilities Center (NCLD)
Ready New York Guide for Seniors and People with Disabilities
Additional Resources


Is a free service that helps you find out if you may qualify for over 30 City, State and Federal benefit programs such as Medicaid, Food Stamps or help with utility bills.

Use ACCESS NYC to find out more about different health and human services benefits that may be right for you or a loved one. ACCESS NYC contains all the information you will need to apply for benefits such as how to apply, where to go, and what documents to bring.

To learn more visit the website 

[back to top]

Department for the Aging

The mission of the Department for the Aging (DFTA) is "to work for the empowerment, independence, dignity and quality of life of New York City's diverse older adults and for the support of their families through advocacy, education and the coordination and delivery of services."

Senior Centers offer a variety of cultural, creative, recreational and fitness activities in addition to nutritious meals.

Case management agencies help seniors obtain needed home-delivered meals, in-home services and entitlements and benefits. They also provide referrals to other community services.

Elderly crime victims, including victims of elder abuse, can get help from DFTA's Elderly Crime Victims Resource Center and service providers in the community.

Contact DFTA by calling 311


[back to top]

Human Resources Administration – Department of Social Services

The New York City Human Resources Administration/ Department of Social Services (HRA/DSS) provides temporary help to individuals and families with social service and economic needs to assist them in reaching self-sufficiency.

The following is a list of HRA Services:

Temporary Cash Assistance
Eligible families may receive up to 60 months of federally funded cash assistance under the Temporary Aid to Needy Families Program (TANF). Single individuals without children may receive benefits under the New York State Safety Net Program. Also, families who have received cash assistance for 60 months may continue to receive benefits under the New York State Safety Net Program.

HIV/AIDS Services Administration
The HIV/AIDS Services Administration's (HASA) mission is to expedite access to essential benefits and social services needed by persons living with AIDS or clinical symptomatic HIV illness and their families. HASA's work with its clients is based on the responsibility of all sectors of the community working together to ensure that these clients have adequate housing, financial security, medical care and other services necessary to allow them to manage their illness and to live their lives with the highest level of self-reliance and dignity.

Public Health Insurance
New York State offers free and low-cost public health insurance programs for low-income New Yorkers. These plans provide medical care through a fee-for-service or a managed care plan. HRA/DSS, through its Medical Assistance Program division (MAP), is responsible for the administration of public health insurance. MAP determines and maintains eligibility, based upon income and/or resource levels, for each of the available health insurance programs and their related services.

Food Stamps and Emergency Food Programs
Many people don't know they are eligible for food stamps. The only way to know is to apply. You can own your own home or car, have money saved, or be an immigrant and still be eligible for food stamps. Each application is evaluated on an individual basis and qualifying is based on income.

Domestic Violence Support Services
The Office of Domestic Violence (ODV) provides temporary housing, emergency shelter and supportive services for victims of domestic violence and their children. All programs provide a safe environment as well as counseling, advocacy and referral services.

Adult Protective Services
Adult Protective Services (APS) is a state-mandated case management program that arranges for services and support for physically and/or mentally impaired adults who are at risk of harm. APS seeks to promptly resolve the risks faced by eligible clients with service plans that will enable these individuals to live independently and safely within their homes and communities. Prospective clients may be referred by anyone.

Home Care
The Home Care Services Program (HCSP) offers access to Medicaid-funded long-term care programs designed to help eligible elderly or disabled individuals remain safely at home, rather than in a nursing home or other institution. In some cases, the Home Care Services Program will assess medical needs and determine the appropriate care required. Eligibility for Medicaid-funded home care programs varies among programs but all programs require that the applicant be Medicaid eligible.

Energy Assistance
Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) helps low-income homeowners and renters pay bills for heating fuel, equipment and repairs. For more information about HEAP call 800-692-0557.

Long-Term Care
Long-Term Care Services (LTC) refers to the wide range of in-home, community-based, and institutional services and programs that are designed to help the elderly and individuals with disabilities of all ages. These services can be medical and non-medical and can help people with activities of daily living (ADLs) such as dressing, bathing and using the bathroom, and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs) such as food shopping and preparing meals.

One-Shot Deal
New York City residents may apply for a one-time emergency grant, also called a "One Shot", when an unforeseen circumstance prevents the applicant from meeting an expense. An applicant must meet eligibility guidelines and is subject to investigative review of the application. Emergency grant applicants may obtain rental assistance in cases of impending evictions, assistance with home energy and utility bills, disaster assistance including moving expenses, and the purchase of personal items for health and safety.

To contact HRA please go to 311 Online or call the HRA Infoline at 1-718-557-1399 for more information on our services.


[back to top]

NYC Administration for Children's Services

Head Start offers educational programs for children age 3 to 5, and a wide variety of opportunities and support services for their families. Children with disabilities are a welcome part of every Head Start program. We understand that every child has unique strengths and unique needs. At Head Start, parents, teachers and specialists all work together to develop a unique program for each child-both in the classroom and at home. Children with disabilities are included in the regular activities, and play and learn right along with all the other children. Head Start has the resources to help many children with disabilities, whether the disabilities are physical, developmental or behavioral. Year after year, children with disabilities make up more than 10% of Head Start's total enrollment. That's because year after year Head Start is 100% committed to their success.

Interested families can call 212-232-0966 for details regarding Head Start and how to find centers in their neighborhoods.


[back to top]

NYC Office of Emergency Management

Established in 1996, the New York City Office of Emergency Management (OEM) plans and prepares for emergencies, educates the public about preparedness, coordinates emergency response and recovery, and collects and disseminates emergency information. To accomplish this mission, OEM maintains a disciplined unit of emergency management personnel, including responders, planners, watch commanders, and administrative and support staff, to identify and respond to various hazards.

For more information please visit the OEM website

[back to top]

National Learning Disabilities Center (NCLD)

National Learning Disabilities Center (NCLD)
32 Laight Street
New York, NY 10013
Voice: 212-545-7510
Fax: 212-545-9665

Ready New York Guide for Seniors and People with Disabilities

Emergencies can pose added challenges for seniors and people with disabilities. Ready New York for Seniors & People with Disabilities provides detailed instructions on developing a disaster plan, assembling an Emergency Supply Kit, and putting together a Go Bag, as well as guidance on creating a support network, preparing for evacuation and sheltering in place.

Contact OEM by calling 311


[back to top]

Additional Resources

HeartShare Human Services of New York
12 MetroTech Center, 29th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201
(718) 422-4200

Provides educational, life skills, vocational training, residential, case management, recreational, family support and health care services for children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities.

National Alliance on Mental Illness
NAMI New York State
99 Pine Street, Suite 302
Albany, NY 12207
Phone: 518-462-2000
Fax: 518-462-3811

Provides public education on mental illness, including publications, information, referral, and support groups for friends and family members of the mentally ill.

Arthritis Foundation, New York Chapter
122 E. 42nd Street
New York, NY 10168
Phone: 212-984-8700
Fax: 212-878-5970

The Arthritis Foundation works to improve the lives of New Yorkers whom struggle every day with this serious health epidemic. Offering educational information, fund raising events, research grants, advocacy, activities and other vital programs and services.

The Brain Injury Association of New York State
10 Colvin Avenue
Albany, NY 12206-1242
Phone: 518-459-7911 / 800-228-8201
Fax: 518-482-5285

The Association provides information and referral services for individuals with traumatic brain injury.

Easter Seals New York
40 W. 37th Street,
Suite 503
New York, NY 10018
Phone: 212-220-2290
Fax: 212-695-4807

Provides people who are disabled with technical assistance, referrals, vocational training, assistive technology, rehabilitation, and job site analysis.

United Spinal Association
75-20 Astoria Boulevard
Jackson Heights, NY 11370
Toll-free: 800-404-2898
Phone: 718-803-3782
Fax: 718-803-0414

United Spinal Association's mission is to improve the quality of life of all people living with a spinal cord injury or disease (SCI/D). They believe that despite living with a spinal cord injury or disease, a full, productive, and rewarding life is within the reach of anyone with the strength to believe it and the courage to make it happen.

Epilepsy Foundation of America (EFA)
8301 Professional Place
Landover, MD 20785-7223
Telephone: 800-332-1000
Fax: 301-577-2684
Español: 866-748-8008

Provides guidance on individual's legal rights with disabilities and refers them to appropriate local legal assistance.

The Epilepsy Institute
65 Broadway,
Suite 505
New York, NY 10006
Phone: 212-677-8550
Fax: 212-677-5825

Provides advocacy and legal services to people discriminated against because of epilepsy. They also offer counseling referrals and conduct community education.

The Greater New York Chapter of the National Spinal Cord Injury Association
P.O. Box 286444
Yorkville Station
New York, NY 10128
Phone: 888-NYC-SCIA (888-692-7242)
Fax: 212-659-9369

The Greater New York Chapter of the National Spinal Cord Injury Association, a 501(c) 3 organization, would like to extend a hand in offering assistance to you or someone you know who has become disabled as a result of their injury or illness. As you may or may not already know currently there are between 250,000 - 400,000 people with spinal cord injuries; primarily due to falls, diving/car accidents, and neurotic diseases. The Greater New York Chapter of the National Spinal Cord Injury Association provides support for these individuals and their families giving them an opportunity to successfully continue their lives, healthcare, and rehabilitation after injury.

International Center for the Disabled (ICD)
340 E. 24th Street
New York, NY 10010
Phone: 212-585-6010
Fax: 212-585-6011
Provides multiple services for people with a variety of disabilities. These services include rehabilitation, vocational training, independent living skills, counseling, and a learning disability clinic.

National Multiple Sclerosis Society
733 Third Ave.,
3rd Floor
New York, NY 10017
Phone: 212-463-7787

Offers help to people with multiple sclerosis (MS) in areas such as housing, Supplemental Security Income, job discrimination, and insurance. The Society also has an educational program to increase awareness of MS issues.

Lighthouse International
111 East 59th Street
The Sol and Lillian Goldman Building
New York, NY 10022-1202
Phone: 212-821-9200 / 800-829-0500
Fax: 212-821-9707
TTY: 212-821-9713

Provides services to people with vision loss (services are described in more detail under "Services for the Blind and Low Vision"). It conducts education and research programs that help people who are blind or visually impaired and advises them of the ADA laws.

National Amputation Foundation, Inc.
40 Church Street
Malverne, NY 11565
Phone: 516-887-3600
Fax: 516-887-3667

Provides information and services to veteran and civilian amputees and employers, as well as job training and placement for amputees.

United Cerebral Palsy of New York City (UCPNYC)
80 Maiden Lane
8th Floor
New York, NY 10038
Phone: 212-683-6700

Provides employment information and referral services to individuals with cerebral palsy and other severe disabilities, as well as assists with site accommodations, environmental controls, and assistive technology. UCP is located in all five boroughs.

LD Resources Foundation Inc
LD Resources Foundation is one of the few non-profit organizations focusing solely on the needs of adults with Learning Disabilities and Attention Deficit Disorders in post secondary educational programs and in the workplace.

The Foundation's mission is to enable individuals with Learning Disabilities and Attention Deficit Disorders to fully participate in academic, library and museum programs, and to successfully engage in employment through assistive technology awareness. Individual services, some of which are limited to individuals with financial need, include testing, mentoring, and providing the latest assistive technology and instruction.

For more information go to our website 

LD Resources Foundation, Inc
31 East 32nd Street, Suite 607
New York, NY 10016
Tel: 646-701-0000
Fax: 212-444-1061

Local NYC Independent Living Centers

Bronx Independent Living Services, Inc. (BILS)
4419 Third Avenue
Suite 2-C
Bronx, NY 10457
Phone: 718-515-2800
TTY: 718-515-2803
Fax: 718-515-2844

Brooklyn Center for Independence of the Disabled (BCID)
27 Smith Street
Suite 200
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Phone: 718-998-3000
TTY: 718-998-7406
Fax: 718-998-3743

Harlem Independent Living Center (HILC)
289 St. Nicholas Avenue
Suite 21
Lower Level
New York, NY 10027
Phone: 212-222-7122?
Toll Free: 800-673-2371
TTY: 212-222-7198
Fax: 212-222-7199

Center for Independence of the Disabled in New York (CIDNY)
841 Broadway
Suite 301
New York, NY 10003
V: 212-674-2300
VP: 646-350-2681
Fax: 212-254-5953

CIDNY Queens
80-02 Kew Gardens Road, Suite 107
Kew Gardens, NY 11415
Phone: 646-442-1520
Fax: 347-561-4883

Staten Island Center for Independent Living (SICIL)
470 Castleton Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10301
Phone: 718-720-9016
TTY: 718-720-9870
Fax: 718-720-9664
Email contact:

[back to top]

Resource Links