Get more Hurricane Irene related updates via the NYC Severe Weather site.
- Hospitals, nursing homes, and senior homes in low-lying areas in NYC are working with the City and State to evacuate by 8 pm on Friday, August 26. Contact individual facilities with questions.
- Low-lying areas in Zone A of NYC are: Coney Island, Manhattan Beach, Far Rockaway, Beach Channel, South Beach, Midland Beach, and Battery Park City.
- If you have a homebound relative or friend in these low-lying areas, the City strongly recommends to take some steps now to move them to a safer location - in your own home or in the home of another relative or friend.
- The decision to evacuate general public residents in these areas will be made by 8 am on Saturday. However, the City recommends that people start going to alternative locations if they have them because of potential traffic jams and mass transit limitations on Saturday.
- Due to the weather advisories for this weekend, please call to make sure Workforce1 Career Center or NYC Business Solutions Centers are open before visiting on Monday, 8/29.
- Because of Hurricane Irene as of 6:00 pm on Friday, August 26th all New York City beaches are closed.
- The MTA Bus and Subway system will begin an orderly system shut down at noon on Saturday, August 27. MTA urges customers to check www.mta.info frequently and to consider the impacts of this storm when making travel plans throughout the weekend.
- Anyone who intends to use Access-a-Ride to temporarily leave their homes until the storm passes is advised to do that Friday, because capacity to do it on Saturday will be limited.
- The Mayor's Office has cancelled all City permits for outdoor events on Sunday, August 28.
- Please be advised that due to imminent arrival of Hurricane Irene this weekend and the State of Emergency that has been declared, all filming permits that have been issued for Sunday, August 28, 2011 are revoked.
- Additionally, for Saturday, August 27, filming permits for activity scheduled to take place in a "Zone A" low-lying area (will link to map) are also revoked. Saturday events not taking place in a "Zone A" are required to cease all activity by 2pm to enable time for event load-out no later than 3pm.