Promote sustainability of the Upper West Side by engaging residents in education, advocacy, and direct efforts to reduce the carbon footprint of the community.
Take a look at the Mayor's website which has tips on how to reduce your carbon footprint.
Clean New York (www.clean-ny.org) is an education and advocacy group that works to get toxic chemicals out of daily lives. Clean New York is committed to protecting children from products that may contain toxic chemicals linked to reproductive problems, developmental and learning disabilities, hormone problems and cancer.
Click on the links below to learn more about each event and RSVP.
- Wednesday, March 12th 4:00 – 6:00pm. Upgrade Your Building this Spring to Save Money Next Winter, co-sponsored by Sustainable South Bronx, Councilwoman Annabel Palma, and Assemblyman Luis Sepulveda.
- Tuesday, March 18th, 7:00-9:00pm: Intro to Green for Co-ops and Condos, sponsored by Solar One and the Council of New York Cooperatives and Condominiums (CNYC).
- Thursday, March 27th, 6:30-8:00pm: House Doctor Series on Cleaner Heating Systems, sponsored by Landmark West!
- Saturday, March 29th, 2:00-4:30pm: Safer Air, Lower Energy Bills, Cleaner Heat! This event will include two workshops and an opportunity to network with financing providers and ULS 2 Specialists.
- Save the Date! Wednesday April 2nd 1-2:30pm. Co-sponsored by the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition, UNHP, and FBHC. Fordham Bedford Housing Corporation: 2751 Grand Concourse Bronx, NY 10468
- Save the Date! Thursday April 17th 6:30-8:00pm. Co-sponsored by the Department of Housing Preservation (HPD). Maestro's: 1703 Bronxdale Ave, Bronx, NY 10462
Any building decision maker could benefit from attending these events, but the Upper West Side events may be more useful for co-op and condo board members. Co-op and condo tenants are also welcome to attend the March 29th event.
NYCWasteLe$$ Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!
Easy Green Tips
• Unplug home electronics when not in use
• Minimize use of hot water
• Use public transportation whenever possible
• Buy and use energy efficient home appliances
• Use compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs
• Assess your building for energy efficiency
• Buy energy from alternative energy providers
• Buy and eat locally grown foods
Useful Green Tips
A Convenient Truth. Urban Solutions from Curitiba, Brazil Project
Yes You Can: Con Edison's new "Green" Web site has "How-To" Tips
Slideshow presentation on Plastic Bags and their adverse effect on the environment.
Presentation on Learning to Be Green on the UWS
The Green Footprint Presentation
Efficient Green Light Bulb Comparison
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
NYS Energy, Research and Development Authority
U.S. Green Building Council
NYC PlaNYC 2030
Green Buildings and Homes
Home Energy Efficiency
Solid Waste Management and Recycling
Local Food and Organics
Books & Articles
“Negawatts for Buildings”
“Report of the High Performance Building Initiative ”
“Green Tax Credit Information ”