Email A Friend Translate this Page Printer Friendly Format Small Text Medium Text Large Text


“Increasing immigrant access to citizenship is a powerful tool for fighting poverty”
-  Nisha S. Agarwal, NYC Commissioner for Immigrant Affairs

Cities for Citizenship (C4C) is a major national initiative aimed at increasing citizenship among eligible U.S. permanent residents and encouraging cities across the country to invest in citizenship programs. It is chaired by New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, and Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti, with support from the Center for Popular Democracy and the National Partnership for New Americans. Citi Community Development is the Founding Corporate Partner.

The national C4C initiative builds on Mayor de Blasio’s pledge to reduce economic inequality and improve immigrant integration in New York City. Benefits of naturalization range from higher earning potential to increased political participation for families. It is also estimated that boosting citizenship will add as much as $4.1 billion to the City’s economy in the next 10 years.

There are nearly 700,000 permanent residents in New York City who are ready to take the final step to becoming citizens but have not done so because of cost or lack of access to sound legal advice. You could be one of them.

Learn more about NYCitizenship, a program that connects permanent residents (green card holders) to financial counseling, microloans, and immigration legal assistance.
If you or someone you know needs quality legal help with their citizenship application, or has questions about the fees, read below. We can help.

The NYCitizenship initiative is dedicated to helping immigrant New Yorkers on their way to becoming U.S. citizens. At our service events, you will receive free information and legal assistance from qualified attorneys who will help you complete the naturalization application (Form N-400). You will also receive information about financing options available to help you cover the cost of the application fee.
In order to be eligible, you must be a Lawful Permanent Resident (green card holder) for at least four years and nine months OR two years and nine months if married to and living with a U.S. citizen. All information is free and confidential.

Read more about eligibility and what to bring to a service event.

The NYCitizenship in Schools initiative is dedicated to helping immigrant New Yorkers on their way to becoming U.S. citizens. At our

  • September 20, 2014
    Bronx – Bronx HS for Law and Community Service 500 East Fordham Rd
  • October 18, 2014
    Queens – Hillcrest High School
  • November 22, 2014
    Queens – 230-17 Hillside Avenue, Queens Village, NY 11427
  • December 13, 2014
    Brooklyn – Urban Assembly Institute for Math &Science for Young Women 283 Adams St
  • January 24, 2015
    Bronx – 333 East 151st Street, Bronx, NY 10451
  • February 7, 2015
    Queens – Flushing High School 35-01 Union Street, Flushing, NY 11354
  • March 14, 2015
    Queens - William Cullen Bryant High School 4810 31st Ave, Long Island City, NY 11103
  • March 21, 2015
    Brooklyn – MS 390 Maggie Walker Educational Campus 1224 Park Place, Brooklyn NY 11213
  • June 13, 2015
    Queens – TBD
  • July 11, 2015
    Brooklyn – James Madison High School 3787 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11229

REGISTER FOR AN EVENT or call (212) 788-7654 or call our office at 212-788-7654


NYCitizenship is a coordinated effort between:

Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs
Department of Education
Office of Financial Empowerment
United States Citizenship & Immigration Services
City University of New York Citizenship Now!
Urban Upbound Credit Union
*Funding for this project is generously provided by Citi Community Development

In the press:

Cities for Citizenship Launch


In order to apply for U.S. Citizenship, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Reside in the United States as a green card holder (legal permanent resident) for five years (three years if living with and married to a U.S. citizen)
  • Live in the United States for half of the five or three year period
  • You are at least 18 years old

Documents to bring:

  • Green card and all passports since obtaining green card
  • A list of all trips taken outside the U.S. since obtaining green card
  • Home addresses for the last five years (three years if married to a U.S. citizen)
  • Parents’ information (naturalization date if applicable, date of birth, country of origin)
  • Children’s information (date of birth, A#, addresses)*
  • Employment history for the last five years (three years if married to a U.S. citizen)*
  • Marital history for you and your spouse*
  • Criminal history*

    *If applicable Applicants pay a $680 filing fee to USCIS. A fee waiver or micro-loan option may be available. (You do NOT have to bring money to the event.)

Fee Waiver Application

A fee waiver is available to those that are unable to pay for the $680 filing fee. To qualify, you must prove "inability to pay" by showing USCIS that you receive public benefits, that your household income is 150% below the federal poverty guidelines, and/or that you have extraordinary expenses that make it impossible to pay the fee. 
In order to apply for the fee waiver, the following documents are needed:

  • Copy of benefit award letters (if applicable)
    • To request Food Stamp Award letter, call (718) 722-8009
    • To request SSI Award letter, call (1-800) 772-1213
  • Copy of Medicaid Award letter, and/or public benefits cards (if applicable)
    • To request Medicaid Award letter, call (212) 695-054
  • Copy of IRS tax returns for the most recent tax year, most recent pay stubs, or other proof of income for all household members

For other forms of free or low-cost immigration assistance, visit:

New York State Immigration Hotline: (800) 566-7636 - General information about immigration and referral

MOIA Bulletin Sign-up
Language Gateway
311 Online
We are NY