Email A Friend Translate this Page Printer Friendly Format Small Text Medium Text Large Text

Collect Documents

In order to apply for DACA, you need to collect documents that prove you are eligible. You can get some of these documents from City agencies.

Depending on your circumstances, you may need to collect some of the following resources.

You can get some of these documents from City agencies.

If you have trouble accessing these documents, please call the Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs at 212-788-7654 for assistance.

To get a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or other identification from your country of origin, click here to view a list of consular offices in New York City

School Records
NYC Department of Education (DOE)
If you are a current or former DOE student, you can visit the main office at your current or former school to request the following:

  • School ID (current students ONLY)
  • Official transcript
  • Attendance record
  • School registration document
  • GED or TASC record (if you graduated from or are currently enrolled in a NYC Department of Education GED or TASC program)

Visit the main office at your current or former school to request these documents. If your school is now closed, you should still go to the building where you last attended school to request these documents. Bring a valid ID (e.g., school photo ID, passport/foreign ID).

New York State Education Department (NYSED)
If you obtained a GED or TASC in New York State through a program outside of the New York City Department of Education, you can request a duplicate transcript or diploma from the New York State Education Department. To learn how to request these records, visit the NYSED website.
Note: On the NYSED form titled “Attachment H,” the space for Social Security Number can be left blank, or you can enter your GED ID number in that space. 

City University of New York (CUNY)
If you are a current or former CUNY student, you can log in to the CUNY Student Portal to print an unofficial transcript from your institution. Visit CUNY’s website.

Medical Records
NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)
If you received an immunization in New York City, the Department of Health and Mental Hygiene may have a record of your immunization on file. This record could be used to show that you were present in the United States on a certain date.
To request your immunization record:

  • Download and complete the Immunization Record Request Form
  • Attach a copy of a photo ID (e.g., school ID, passport/foreign ID)
  • Submit the form to DOHMH (instructions on the form)

or e-mail:

NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC)
If you received health care in a NYC public hospital or clinic, Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC) can produce a patient report that includes information such as date of visit, types of services provided, medical provider, billing information, or staff may be able to give you a copy of your medical bill or even copies of your original medical records.

To access these documents, visit the hospital and/or outpatient clinic where you received care.  If you need help locating a facility, go to or call 311.  You can request these documents from staff in the patient accounts department, medical records department, or from a financial counselor.  Bring a valid ID (e.g., school photo ID, passport/foreign ID).

Foster Care Records
NYC Administration for Children's Services (ACS)
If you were in foster care, ACS can provide you with a letter stating the dates that you were in ACS custody at the age at which you entered the foster care system in New York City.

To request information, call the ACS help line: 212-676-9421.

Public Benefits Records
Human Resources Administration (HRA)
If you received public benefits, HRA can provide you with a “budget letter” stating the dates your case was open.

To request the budget letter, you must submit a form on HRA's website

  • The dropdown should indicate "Deferred Action - Budget Letter Request"
  • Fill out all the mandatory areas

To start your request, click here.  You may also call 212-331-4640 (closed case) or 718-722-8009 (open case).

Community-Based Records
NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD)
Two of the eligibility requirements—length of stay in the U.S. and student status—may be supported by documentation related to participation in programs funded by DYCD. If you were enrolled in a DYCD-funded program, DYCD may be able to confirm your dates of participation.

To request this information directly from the DYCD-funded community agency where you received the services, please return to the site where you were enrolled or go to the organization’s main office for assistance.

Alternatively, you can  Request this information from DYCD by contacting DYCD’s YouthConnect at 800-246-4646 (or 212-227-4005 if calling from outside NYC).

When calling, please have the following information available:

  • Name, Date of Birth (DOB), mailing address, and your telephone number;
  • Name of the organization and the type of program you attended.

Download a printable version of this information in your language:
EnglishArabicBengaliChinese (Simplified), FrenchHaitian  CreoleSpanish

For more information about which documents are acceptable, download “Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals Instructions” from USCIS.