For Parents

You can help your child get an ID. Here's how.

Birth Certificate
  • If your child is under 16, you must apply for a birth certificate for them.
  • You can apply together online or go together to the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene to apply in person.
  • You can help your child collect the documents they need.
  • You can provide information about where your child was born and the full names of both parents.
Learn more

Social Security Card
  • Help your child complete the application by providing both parents' Social Security numbers.
  • Take your child, original documents and the application to a Social Security office near you.
Learn more

Non-Driver State ID
If your child is under 16 years old, you MUST go with them to the DMV. If your child is under 21, you can help them get their "4 points of proof" by going with them to the DMV.
  • Fill out this form (in PDF) and sign it in front of a DMV representative.
  • Bring your child's birth certificate and Social Security card.
  • Bring your own form of ID. No other documents are required, in addition to this and the above-mentioned documents.
Learn more