Email a Friend Translate this Page Print This Page Text Size: Sm Med Lg
Follow us on Facebook
Connect with us on tumblr
Follow us on YouTube
Adult Education  

When we pursue additional education and training, we grow in our understanding of our world and ourselves.  We also gain opportunities to grow professionally. If you are looking for an opportunity to grow in your current job or acquire a new one, completing your education may be what’s necessary to put you in a better position to provide for yourself and your family. If you (or mom) want or need to complete your education, please consider the following options:

The Mayor’s Office of Adult Education works to improve the quality of life of New Yorkers by promoting a state-of-the-art adult education system. For more information visit the Mayor's Office of Adult Education website.

The NYC Department of Education’s Referral Centers for High School Alternatives provide advice on high school alternatives, help students enroll in GED programs when appropriate, and connect students to related support (such as childcare, counseling, drug treatment and housing referrals). If you are under 21, live in New York City and don’t have a high school diploma, but want to continue your education and need additional support to re-connect with school, see the list below of Referral Centers for High School Alternatives that follows.

If you are 21 or older, you can get free additional services through the Office of Adult and Continuing Education (OACE).

Referral Centers for High School Alternatives
The Bronx: 718-842-9200
Brooklyn: 718-636-5770
Manhattan: 212-244-1274
Queens: 718-739-2100
Staten Island: 718-273-3225

If you can’t get through to a Referral Center, contact Office of Student Support Services at 917-521-3639;

CUNY (The City University of New York)
CUNY Prep offers two educational opportunities: a full-time day program for out-of-school youth between the ages of 16 and 18 and a part-time evening program (CUNY Prep at Night) for adults 19 and older who lack a high school diploma. For more information about CUNY Prep, please visit:

NYHELPS (The New York Higher Education Loan Program)
College courses can be expensive and though you may be eligible for financial aid, sometimes, additional funds may be necessary. For those who seeking higher education, the New York Higher Education Loan Program (NYHELPS) gives access to low-cost, fixed-rate education loans. You should consider this option before seeking a private (alternative) loan option. For more information about NYHELPS, call 888-NYSHESC (888-697-4372) toll free or visit their website:

If you want to improve your English, look into the “We Are New York” program, a half-hour TV show. You can watch the show on Mondays at 12:30 pm and Sundays at 3:00 pm on Channel 25 (or Channel 22 on Cablevision). You can also watch it on Fridays at 10:00 pm and Sundays at 1:00 pm on Channel 74. For more information, go to NYC We Are New York.

There are a variety of non-city programs, such as Union Settlement and Claremont Neighborhood Centers, that can help dads with adult education courses. For a more complete list, click here.