Personal Care

The Personal Care program provides home attendant and/or housekeeping services to Medicaid-eligible clients who are having difficulty with at least one or more activities of daily life, such as walking, cooking, cleaning, bathing an d using the bathroom, and who are in stable medical condition. For Medicaid-eligible clients seeking personal care services, Home Care Services Program staff assesses the personal care need and determines the appropriate level of care. Eligible clients must be able to direct the home attendant or have a readily available family member who is able to do so.
Services in the home are provided through contracted home care agencies. The Personal Care program provides case management through its nine Community Alternative Systems Agency (CASA) offices. Short-term medical home care, utilizing nursing and other visiting services can also be provided via Certified Home Health Agencies (CHHA) to stabilize health.

Individuals may choose to participate in the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (in PDF) under which the client or designated representative assumes responsibility for the training and oversight of their attendant. To do so s/he must complete M-13 D (in PDF), Consumer Directed Personal Assistance  Program Application (for helpful hints on how to complete this application, please click on the Helpful Hints for Completing the CDPAP Application, M-13D form (in PDF).

To apply for Personal Care services, a doctor or medical professional needs to complete and sign an M11q form (in PDF) (for helpful hints please click on the Eight Helpful Hints for Accurate Completion of the M11q form) (in PDF) and then return it to either Central Intake at 253 Schermerhorn Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201, or to a CASA office in one of the five boroughs for processing. For clients who have not already been determined eligible for Medicaid, the M11q must be accompanied by a completed Medicaid application.

If you have a serious or emergency complaint about the home care services provided by your vendor agency, or if previous complaints you have made to your vendor agency have not been satisfactorily addressed, please call the Home Care Services Program Complaint Hotline at 212-643-3565.

For more information on Personal Care and eligibility, call HRA’s Infoline at 718-557-1399, 311, or visit a CASA office.

If you are currently a client of the HIV/AIDS Services Administration and think you need Personal Care Services, please contact your HASA case manager who will discuss the various programs with you.

Find out of you’re eligible for Medicaid.