Immigrant Resources

The New York City Human Resources Administration/ Department of Social Services (HRA/DSS) provides temporary help to individuals and families with social service and economic needs to assist them in reaching self-sufficiency. Our services include: temporary cash assistance, public health insurance, food stamps, home care for seniors and the disabled, child care, adult protective services, domestic violence assistance, HIV/AIDS support services and child support enforcement.

Here is some information on how HRA can assist you. For more information, call 311.

  • Language Services: HRA provides free interpretation services at all walk-in sites in approximately 180 languages.  You may ask for an interpreter at any time.  If bilingual staff are not available to assist you, another staff person will use HRA’s telephone interpretation service. You may also bring an interpreter if they are at least 18 years old.  Many of HRA’s forms are available in Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Haitian-Creole, Arabic and Korean.  Some of HRA’s forms – and forms from other City Agencies – are available online at in English, Russian, Spanish and Chinese.

         Click here to download and print an “I Speak”card to help you ask for interpretation.