Physically and/or mentally impaired adults who are at risk of harm can get help through the Adult Protective Services Program (APS). APS can arrange for services and support to promptly remove risks and help clients live independently and safely within their homes and communities. APS clients can be referred by anyone.
APS is available to persons 18 years of age and older without regard to income, who:
- Are mentally and/or physically impaired; and
- Due to these impairments, are unable to manage their own resources, carry out the activities of daily living, or protect themselves from abuse, neglect, exploitation or other hazardous situations without assistance from others; and
- Have no one available who is willing and able to assist them responsibly.
There is an APS office in each borough. If you would like more information on an active APS case, please call the correct borough office:
- Brooklyn Borough Office: 718-722-4830 | 718-722-4812
- Bronx Borough Office: 718-620-8880
- Manhattan North Borough Office: 212-971-2727
- Manhattan South Borough Office: 212-279-5794
- Queens Borough Office: 718-883-8254
- Staten Island Borough Office: 718-556-5846
Adult Protective Services (APS) is a state-mandated case management program that arranges for services and support for physically and/or mentally impaired adults who are at risk of harm. APS seeks to promptly resolve the risks faced by eligible clients with service plans that will enable these individuals to live independently and safely within their homes and communities.