FAQ: General Public/Clients

View our list of frequently asked questions (FAQ) below.
  1. How do I submit an inquiry or complaint?
     You may submit an inquiry or complaint in the following ways:

  2. How do I apply for emergency services?
     NYC residents in crisis may be eligible for emergency assistance with rental arrears, utility arrears or shut off notices and/or storage payments. Apply at your nearest HRA Job Center location. For a list of offices please visit our job centers page.

  3. How do I apply for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program?
  4. How can I apply for Cash Assistance? 
    In order to determine whether you qualify for temporary cash assistance, you may file an application at an HRA Job Center location that covers your zip code. For a list of offices, visit our job centers page.

  5. How do I file a complaint about my Fair Hearing visit?
    You may contact the Office of Temporary & Disability Assistance (OTDA) by phone at 1-800-342-3334 | 518-474-8781 | by fax at 518-473-6735.

  6. What can I do if my case is closed or sanction?
    You are entitled to an Mandatory Dispute Resolution (MDR) and Fair Hearing request to resolve closings or sanctions you believe have been improperly imposed.

  7. I have questions about my Medicaid coverage, who can I contact?
    Customers who need assistance concerning Medicaid Managed Care can contact 1-800-505-5678.

    •  For questions about eligibility call 1-888-692-6116 
    •  For all other inquires call Infoline at 718-557-1399

  8.  If I am disabled and need assistance, how do I file a formal Reasonable Accommodation Request?
    You can call 212-331-4640 or visit HRA's Reasonable Accommodation's Page.

  9.  Does HRA share information with federal immigration authorities? 
    HRA will not report your personal information to anyone, except if required by law. NYC Executive Order 41 protects the confidentiality of anyone seeking City services. HRA will only ask for your immigration status if it is required to determine eligibility or if it is required by law.

  10.  I'm an immigrant, will receiving services affect my immigration case?

    •  U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) states that receiving

    •  The Supplemental Nutrition Program (formerly known as food stamps) or other food assistance and health care benefits, including Medicaid will not affect your immigration case;

    •  Cash assistance, SSI and long-term care in a nursing home or another institution may or may not affect your immigration case; it depends on your situation;

    •  For information about your particular immigration case we recommend that you consult an immigration law specialist.

  11.  How can I get help if I cannot find the documents I need to apply for benefits, including my immigration documentation?
     You should contact the Department of Youth and Community Development's Office of Immigrant Initiatives. Their telephone number is 212-442-5267. This office works with over 80 community based organizations trained in helping individuals obtain immigration documentation.

  12.  As an immigrant what HRA services do I qualify for?
     See our Community Guide to Public Benefits for Immigrants

  13.  I don't speak English well. Are there any services available to help?
     Free interpretation services are available at all City agencies via phone (available at HRA sites in over 170 languages), face-to-face when available and translated documents.