Email a Friend
NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development
Residential Tenants

Housing Court

A tenant can bring a case against a building owner in Housing Court to get an order to correct the conditions. This case is called an HP Action. HP actions are lawsuits brought by tenants or groups of tenants against building owners to force them to make repairs and provide essential services, like heat and hot water. A building owner's failure to make a repair or provide an important service may be a violation of the New York City Housing Maintenance Code or the New York State Multiple Dwelling Law. In an HP action, a judge can order the building owner to correct the violations. If you want to start an HP proceeding against your building owner, go to the Clerk's Office at the Housing Court. You do not need a lawyer to start an HP case. For more information about HP actions, visit the website of the New York State Unified Court System.

Housing Court Information Tables

Housing Court answers operates information tables at Housing Court in each of the five boroughs. Staff at the table will provide information on HPD programs, regulations and other assistance available to landlords and tenants to assist in the preservation of residential property in New York City. In Court Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Thursday (except Staten Island).  Website Link:

Housing Court information (City-Wide) telephone number: 212-962-4795.


Housing Court

Fact Sheets from the Citywide Task Force on Housing Court (also available in Spanish)

Legal help for low-income New Yorkers

Housing discrimination issues



I am a...
Learn About...
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
View Site Map