Email a Friend
NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development
Residential Building Owners

Division of Maintenance

Emergency Repair Program

It is the owner’s responsibility to timely and properly correct HPD violations.  HPD attempts to contact the validly registered owner by mail and phone when an immediately hazardous (Class C) violation is issued.  If the owner fails to correct the class C violations, the City may perform or contract for emergency repairs to correct the violation at the owner’s expense.  The City is subject to laws governing procurement, contracting, wages, and other matters that may make such work significantly more expensive than the price that the owner could obtain if he/she performs or contracts for the work.  

The City will bill the property owner through the Department of Finance for the cost of the emergency repair plus related fees and/or for the cost of sending a contractor to attempt to make repairs.  If the owner fails to pay, the City will file a tax lien against the property.  The tax lien will bear interest and may be sold and/or foreclosed to collect the amount owed.  Failure to correct violations may also result in civil penalties imposed by the Housing Court. 

Property owners can avoid emergency repair and service charges and remove the violation(s) from the HPD records at no cost by timely and properly correcting the violation/emergency condition and timely certifying such correction to HPD.  Instructions on how to certify correction of a violation are located on the back side of the Notice of Violation sent to owners whenever violations are issued.  Owners may also certify correction online, using eCertification. To certify violation correction, you must be the registered owner or managing agent of the property.  Click here for more information about registration. 

To check to see if there are existing open work orders issued pursuant to an HPD violation or to an emergency repair order issued by another agency (including Declarations of Emergency issued by the Department of Buildings), click here and then enter the property address.  Once the property is identified, click the Charges link on the left hand side. 

You should also check with the Department of Finance for any ERP charges currently overdue or pending.  

Procedure for Protesting Emergency Repair Charges

A protest of an emergency repair charge must be in writing and received by the HPD Research and Reconciliation Unit on or before the due and payable date for the charge provided on the second statement of account containing such charge. A request for an invoice that supports HPD's emergency repair charge may be made prior to protesting the charge. Failure to timely protest an emergency repair charge negates an owner's right to contest the charge in any subsequent administrative or judicial proceeding.

Protests of emergency repair charges should be mailed to the HPD Research and Reconciliation Unit (100 Gold Street, Section 5Z, New York, NY 10038). The Research and Reconciliation Unit can be reached at 212-863-6020 and/or e-mail:

I am a...
Learn About...
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
View Site Map