Email a Friend
NYC Department of Housing Preservation & Development

Vacant Land Development

General Info
HPD considers proposals from not-for-profit housing developers to construct State- or Federally-funded affordable housing developments on vacant City-owned properties. Applicants for Federal Section 202 Housing for the Elderly, Federal Section 811 Housing for the Disabled, State Housing Trust Fund, or other government-supported projects can apply for site control of vacant City-owned properties. HPD will verify local Community Board support for the project and, in the event the project receives Federal or State funds, will then seek to obtain the appropriate land use approval for development. In most instances, ownership of the property is conveyed to the non-profit developer at the construction loan closing.

For additional information on Vacant Land Development, call (212) 863-8961. For issues relating to Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island properties, call (212) 863-6800. For issues relating to the Bronx, call (212) 863-6279. For issues relating to Brooklyn, call (212) 863-8667.

Public Auction of NYC Real Estate
Public auctions of residential, commercial property and unimproved land are held several times each year with opening bids of as low as $1,000. For information on the next auction and to subscribe to the New York City Public Real Estate Auction Sales brochures on upcoming opportunities, visit the DCAS Web site, call the City's Citizen Service Center at 311 (311 can be accessed outside of New York City by dialing (212) NEW YORK), or write to:

Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS)
Division of Real Estate/Office of Auction Sales
1 Centre Street, 19th Floor North
New York, NY 10007

I am a...
Learn About...
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
View Site Map