NYC Affordable Housing Resource Center
Translate This PageEmail A FriendPrinter Friendly FormatSign-up For Apartments & Home News

Adobe PDF Icon Adobe Acrobat Reader
(required to view PDFs)

Repairs and Maintenance

Information for Tenants
Information for Homeowners

Information for Tenants

Call your building owner, landlord, or managing agent, then if problem continues, call 311 and ask for an HPD Specialist. Please note that you can not submit a complaint online. To make a complaint you must call 311.

Heat/Hot Water Problems
Landlords are required to provide hot water year-round and 24-hour heat when the outdoor temperature warrants it. Heat season lasts from October 1 through May 31. During heat season, residential owners with tenants are required by law to maintain an indoor temperature of at least 68 degrees Fahrenheit between 6 am and 10 pm when the outdoor temperature falls below 55 degrees. Between 10 pm and 6 am, building owners must maintain an indoor temperature of 55 degrees when the outside temperature falls below 40 degrees. In the event of a heat deficiency, a tenant should first notify the building owner, managing agent or superintendent. If heat is not restored, the tenant should call 311 and ask for an HPD Specialist.

New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) Residents
In Manhattan, Queens, or Staten Island, NYCHA residents who need repairs should call the Centralized Call Center at 718-707-7771, 24 hours a day, for all repairs and maintenance.

In Brooklyn and the Bronx, NYCHA residents should report problems to their management office during regular hours, and for EMERGENCY REPAIRS ONLY WHEN THE MANAGEMENT OFFICE IS CLOSED call 718-707-7777.

Tenants in Housing Preservation & Development (HPD)-Managed Buildings
Report apartment maintenance issues to 212-491-4229. For repair emergencies after hours and on weekends, call 311 and ask for an HPD Specialist.

Safety Issues
Each of the following are important things to remember so you can keep your family safe. If you have questions or problems regarding any of these, please call 311 for help.
  • Chipped or Peeling Lead-Based Paint
  • Missing or Broken Smoke Detectors
  • Missing or Broken Carbon Monoxide Detectors
  • Missing Window Guards

Information for Homeowners

Home Rehabilitation Loans
The Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) offers eligible owners a variety of low-interest loans for moderate to major renovations of vacant or occupied smaller buildings as well as buildings with more than 20 units. Only buildings with low and moderate rent levels are eligible for these loans. Real estate tax benefits may be available to borrowers.
Learn more about HPD's low-interest loans
Learn more about funding available to owners to treat lead-based paint hazards

Owner Services Program
HPD's Owner Services Program reaches out to residential owners whose buildings are in need of help. Residential building owners should call HPD's Owner Services Program for:

  • Counseling on building management and finances for residential owners, including developing expense reduction strategies;

  • Help in securing low-interest loans through HPD programs for moderate to major renovations of vacant or occupied residential buildings (note: only buildings with low and moderate rent levels are eligible for these loans);

  • Help with improving owner-tenant relations;

  • Help in correcting Housing Maintenance Code violations and clearing your record;

  • Assistance with refinancing through private lenders;

  • Assistance in preventing foreclosures and predatory lending;

  • Help in registering your building with HPD;

  • A free video on heat and hot water regulations.

Learn more from HPD
Get helpful information about hiring a home improvement contractor from the Department of Consumer Affairs (in PDF)