The InTouch health information exchange link is scheduled to go live by early 2012 and will allow the participating healthcare providers to share medication lists, known allergies, laboratory and test results, as well as care and discharge plans for all the patients. The electronic link will also feature “care alerts” that can be sent to case managers and caregivers with real-time information to indicate if the patient has entered an emergency department, has been admitted to the hospital and when the patient has been discharged.
Other features of the InTouch health information technology exchange include:
- A governance structure to ensure health records for patients with mental health are appropriately protected by privacy and confidentiality laws;
- Access by the community based providers to the HHCAdvantage online link which allows them to electronically refer patients to HHC’s hospital-based specialty services;
- Patient reports that allow for the identification and followup on over due preventive health procedures and support the identification and management of comorbid medical conditions;
- Routine monitoring of risk behaviors such as smoking, substance abuse, poor nutrition and non-adherence to medication;
- Access to medication management “decision-support” application to ensure all providers are following best practices in the medication treatment guidelines for schizophrenia; and
- Monitoring of population outcomes through a comprehensive disease registry.