Production FAQs

Q. Where is the office located?
A. The Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting (OFTB) is located in the Ed Sullivan Theatre Building at 1697 Broadway. You will need to bring picture ID to gain access to the building. Our offices are on the 6th floor.

Q. What are your office hours?
A. Our office is open from 9:00am to 5:00pm, Monday through Friday. Permits are issued between the hours of 9:00am and 4:00pm.

Q. Is there an application fee?
A. When submitting an initial application for any new project in connection with a required permit, the application must be accompanied by a non-refundable fee of $300, paid in the form of a credit card.

Q. What do I need to bring to the office in order to get a permit?
A. You can access the new online permit application from any computer (click here to be directed to our online permitting system) or you can use one of the computers at OFTB to fill out the forms. If you are applying for a shooting, scouting or rigging permit, you must supply your insurance information. If you are applying for a Student permit, you will be required to upload your school insurance letter and student ID. Please contact OFTB, 212-489-6710 ext. 250 with any questions.

Q. What kind of insurance is required in order to get a permit?
A. The OFTB requires a General Liability policy for at least $1,000,000 naming “the City of New York as additional insured pursuant to, or with coverage at least as broad as, ISO Form CG 20 12 (07/98ed.)” for all shooting, scouting and rigging permits. There is no insurance requirement for Optional permitsClick here for more information on insurance requirements and partial list of brokers. Please note: your insurance must be submitted to OFTB 48 hours prior to completing the online permit application.

Q. Can I fax or e-mail in a permit request?
A. At this time, only Optional permits are accepted by fax.

Q. When do I need police assistance on a set?
A. You will need police assistance if your shoot involves any interruption of traffic, stunts, weapons or if your actors are wearing NYPD, NYFD, EMT or other costumes resembling uniformed services personnel in New York City.

Q. How do I get police assistance?
A. If you need police assistance, please indicate this on your online permit application. If applicable, an officer from the NYPD Movie/TV Unit will be assigned to your production. Please confirm meeting time and place by 11am the day before the shoot by calling the NYPD Movie/TV Unit at 212-239-2521.

Q. How long will it take to get my permit approved?
A. Permits are reviewed Monday - Friday between the hours of 9am - 4pm. Permits must be submitted 48 business hours before the scheduled shoot. The amount of time it takes to get a permit signed depends on the complexity of the permit. The OFTB makes every effort to process your permit as quickly as possible.

Q. How do I get a permit to shoot a student film?
A. If your school has insurance on file with OFTB, you need to obtain a letter from your school stating your name and dates of shoot. You will be asked to upload this letter when completing the online permit application. Permits will only be issued to the student named in the school letter therefore you will also be asked to upload your student ID.

Q. I am interested in shooting in a few locations that are not city streets or sidewalks. How do I do this?
A. For locations such as city parks, subways, bridges, ferries, etc, please contact OFTB, 212-489-6710 ext. 250 and we will provide you with the appropriate contact information.

Q. Where can I find the tech list / Reel Jobs list?
A. The tech list, now known as the Reel Jobs list, can be found on the website or picked up at the security desk of 1697 Broadway. Click here for more information.

Q. How do I advertise my space as a location with your office?
A. We've developed a guide for people looking to rent out their personal home for production, click here to visit our Make Your Home a Star section.

Q. How do I find out about NY's tax credit for film and television productions?
A. The Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting no longer offers a tax credit. The New York State Governor's Office for Motion Picture and Television Development does. You can visit their website at The Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting does offer other incentives and resources, which can be found here.


Q. How do I find out about the NY sales tax exemption on production goods and services ?
A. For tax information and to download forms, click here to visit our Guide to Sales Tax Exemptions & Forms page.

Q. How can I get an internship at the Office of Film, Theatre & Broadcasting?
A. Fall, spring and summer internships are available and ideal for students interested in film and television production in NYC. Main responsibilities include greeting permit applicants, assessing needs, providing appropriate forms, fielding questions and reviewing completed permit application forms before submitting to a permit coordinator. Other duties include answering phones, filing paperwork, faxing documents, data entry, marketing research and running office errands as needed. Interns must be able to work 2-3 days per week from 9:00am until 5:00pm for a minimum of 3 months and maximum of 5 months. Internships are unpaid but can be completed for school credit. For more information, click here. You can also email us at

Quick Links
Entry Level film industry training Entry Level film industry training...More >>
Info about the New York State tax credit Info about the New York State tax credit...More >>
The Mayor's Found to Advance New York City The Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City...More >>