Filing a Complaint

If you believe you have been the victim of discrimination in housing in the City of New York based on your actual or perceived race, color, creed, age, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, gender (including gender identity and sexual harassment), sexual orientation, disability, marital status, partnership status, lawful occupation, family status, or lawful source of income, you may file a complaint with the Law Enforcement Bureau of the NYC Commission on Human Rights, located located at 100 Gold Street, 4th Floor, suite 4600, New York, NY 10038. The Law also prohibits retaliation.

Time Limit

  • The NYC Human Rights Law requires that the complaint be filed within one year of the last alleged act of discrimination. Complaints alleging violations of the NYC Human Rights Law can also be filed in NY State Supreme Court. Those complaints can be filed within three years of the last alleged act of discrimination.


  • In order to file a complaint with the NYC Commission on Human Rights, the alleged act(s) of discrimination must take place within the city’s five boroughs.


  • To schedule an appointment, please call 212-306-7450. You may walk-in without an appointment, however, those with appointments will be assisted before you. If you are unable to travel to the Commission’s offices, we will make alternative arrangements.

  • When you visit the Commission, you will meet with a staff attorney to discuss the allegations of discrimination.

What to Bring

  • To expedite the interview process, please bring all relevant information covered in the complaint with you such as names, addresses, and phone numbers of the people or organizations you are charging and the exact dates of the events.

  • Building security requires that you present a photo identification to gain access to the building.

Outside of New York City

If your housing discrimination took place outside of New York City, you can file a complaint with the New York State Division of Human Rights or the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

A website of the NYC Commission on Human Rights and the NYC Department of Housing Preservation and Development

Helpful Resources