- Talk to others, including family, friends, or religious
advisors about your feelings - talking is the most
- Give yourself permission to feel whatever you feel
- good or bad.
- Be patient with yourself. You are not expected
to act or feel normal.
- Reach out to others who are facing a similar situation.
- Take care of yourself as a parent, aunt, and/or
friend. Children and others will take your lead.
- Whatever religion or spiritual practices you may
have - this is the time to use them. Call upon your
spiritual advisors or community of faith.
- Allow yourself crying time - public or private.
- Let others help you do small tasks.
- Spend time with others - do not feel you have to
talk to anyone about how you are feeling but allow
others to be around you.
- Eat well-balanced and regular meals, even if you
don't feel like it.
- Try to sleep and rest as much as you can.
- Exercise - even if it means walking around the
- Keep a journal - write down thoughts and feelings.
- Try not to make any big life changes at this time.