- Breathe - A shallow intake of breath followed by
a long deep exhale can help calm your mind and body.
- Find something to do which requires attention but
not a lot of thought - routine tasks are good.
- Engage in physical activity.
- Stay connected with others by phone, email etc.
- Keep your time frames short: think about the next
hour or the next part of the day, not about the far
- Pay attention to your basic needs - be sure to
eat, stay hydrated, be warm or cool enough.
- Avoid stimulants (e.g. caffeine) or alcohol since
these can increase anxious feelings.
- Read passages which are meaningful and/or reassuring
- Engage in any religious or spiritual practices
which are comforting to you.