- Table of Contents (HTML to browse individual rules) click here
- Compilation of Rules (to view all rules as a complete document) click here
- For Fire Department rulemaking notices (proposed and final rules), click here.
For additional information, see Overview below.
Overview of FDNY Rules
Pursuant to its authority under NYC Administrative Code Section (ß) 29-103, the Fire Commissioner is responsible for the administration and enforcement of the New York City Fire Code (FC). This includes the power to promulgate rules that implement the Fire Code and to otherwise carry out the duties and exercise the powers granted to the Fire Commissioner and the Fire Department pursuant to NYC Charter Chapter 19 and FC104.
The Fire Departmentís rules are compiled in Title 3 of the Rules of the City of New York (RCNY). Effective July 1, 2010, the Fire Department has completed the process of repealing and repromulgating all of its rules in connection with the enactment of a new Fire Code, which took effect on July 1, 2008. The new Fire Department rules have been renumbered to parallel the new Fire Code sections, and terms defined in the Fire Code or the rules appear in italics.
The following resources relating to the Fire Departmentís rules may be viewed on this website:
- Fire Department Rules, click here.
- Frequently Asked Questions and responses, click here.
- Cross-reference Table identifying the rules that have been repealed and the new Fire Code or Fire Department rule sections that correspond to the repealed rules, click here.
- Rulemaking notices including (for proposed rules) the notice of opportunity to comment, text, and statement of basis and purpose, and (for promulgated rules) the notice of promulgation, text and statement of basis and purpose, click here.
- Fire Code and related resources, click here.
The rules may be purchased in publication form from New York Legal Publishing Corp., 136 Railroad Avenue, Albany, NY 12205.