FDNY HOSTS FIRE PREVENTION WEEK 2007 WITH
FIRE SAFETY EDUCATION EXPOS ACROSS NEW YORK CITY
Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta announced today the schedule of events for the New York City Fire Department’s participation in National Fire Prevention Week 2007, which runs from Sunday, October 7 to Saturday, October 13. The community-based events are designed to promote winter and holiday safety among all New Yorkers, including fire safety tips for senior citizens, fire escape planning and the maintenance of smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
National Fire Prevention Week was established more than 80 years ago to commemorate the Great Chicago Fire on October 8, 1871, that killed more than 250 people, left 100,000 homeless and destroyed more than 17,400 structures. Fire departments throughout the country have since commemorated the anniversary of the fire by informing the public about the importance of fire safety and fire prevention during the second week in October.
Throughout this week, members of the Fire Safety Education Unit, in conjunction with the Bureau of Operations and the non-profit FDNY Foundation, will be hosting fire safety education expos in every borough, including various interactive exhibits and activities for people of all ages – so New Yorkers can better understand the dangers of fire and how to protect themselves and their families.
Since 2002, New York City has experienced the fewest number of civilian fire fatalities since such statistics were first recorded, and one of the reasons is primarily due to fire safety education.
The events for Fire Prevention Week 2007 are as follows:
- Sunday, October 7 -- Fordham Plaza, 430 East Fordham Road, Bronx, 11:00a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 8 -- Brighton Heights Reformed Church, 320 St. Mark’s Place, Staten Island, 11:00 a.m. - 3:00p.m.
- Tuesday, October 9 -- Rockefeller Center, between 48th & 51st Sts., Manhattan, 10:00am - 2:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 10 -- FDNY Memorial Day Service, 100th Street and Riverside Drive, Manhattan, 11:00 a.m.
- Thursday, October 11 -- MetroTech Commons outside FDNY Headquarters, Brooklyn, 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 12 -- Chrysler Building , 42nd St. and Lexington Ave., Manhattan 11:00 am - 2:00 p.m.; Mount Sinai Hospital, Annenberg Building lobby, 1468 Madison Ave., Manhattan, 10:00 a.m. -2:00 p.m.
- Saturday-October 13 -- Queens Center Mall, 90-15 Queens Boulevard, Elmhurst, NY, noon - 4:00 p.m.; Kings Plaza Mall, 5100 Kings Plaza, Brooklyn, 9:00am - 3:00pm
For fire safety tips, visit www.nyc.gov/fdny or the FDNY Foundation at www.fdnyfirezone.org
Press Contact: Francis X. Gribbon & Tony Sclafani, (FDNY) (718) 999-2056